In this compendium, you will find pieces written by invited faculty speakers from the 2021 Women in Medicine Summit (WIMS), who share their expertise on the evolution of empowerment that has occurred in medicine.
You can also discover strategies for achieving equity in healthcare utilizing evidence, science and authentic leadership and learn how to find your voice so that you, too, can be a champion for change.
This past year has stretched physicians and workers across the healthcare spectrum further than ever before. An already broken system was laid bare. Disparities that have existed for years have now become impossible to ignore. It is time to work together to implement solutions and to break down the systemic barriers that continue to perpetuate disparities in medicine.
We must use the decades of research that already exist along with our collective lived experiences to rebuild a better, more equitable system. Not only because it is the right thing to do, but because by doing so, we will see benefits to our patients, our colleagues, our communities and the healthcare system as a whole. When this pandemic is behind us, we must not return to the pre-COVID-19 status quo that has driven so many accomplished women from medicine.
We can do better. And we must.
Shikha Jain, MD, FACP - Chair, Women in Medicine®
From the Editors
David C. Kim (Partner Development Manager, Wiley Career Center Services)
Shikha Jain, MD, FACP (Chair, Women in Medicine®)
Table of Contents
- Leading in a Crisis: Why Women Leaders Excel
Helen Burstin, MD, MPH, MACP
- Breaking Glass Ceilings: Leading Through Adversity
Julie Freischlag, MD, FACS, FRCSED (HON), DFSVS
- Some Advice for Coming Out of a Crisis
Mark Hertling, DBA
- Leadership Starts in Our Physical Presence
Alison Escalante, MD, FAAP
- Harnessing Behavioral Science to Elevate Your Career
Laura Desveaux, PHD, PT
- Cultivating Intentional Success by Clarifying Your Voice and Vision
- How to Nurture Relationships in a World Without Handshakes
- Make Your CV a Gender Equity Ally
Avital O'Glasser, MD, FACP, FHM
- Top Tips for Finding and Refining Your Voice on Social Media
Kelly Cawcutt, MD, MS, FACP, FIDSA
- The Toll of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Women Medical Students
Deborah Rupert, MS, MA
- Navigating a Toxic Work Environment
Pamela Kunz, MD
- To Settle or Not to Settle
Krishna Jain, MD, FACS
- The Work-Life Dilemma and Its Effect on the Gender Gap
Nisha Mehta, MD
- Making an Impact: Advocacy and Leaning into the Power of the Physician Mom
Laura Zimmermann, MD, MS, FACP; Eve Bloomgarden, MD
- Amplifying with Intention
Mark Shapiro, MD
- Combatting the Invisibility of Women in Medicine
Nancy Spector, MD
- Using the 3 Rs - Recognition, Representation and Resources - to Elevate Women
Julie Oyler, MD; Valerie Press, MD, MPH; Anna Volerman, MD; Vineet Arora, MD, MAPP
View jobs of interest on Diversity in Research
Women in Medicine Summit 2022
We invite you to join us at the 2022 Women in Medicine Summit, which will be held Sept. 16 to 17.
Be part of the change that is needed for the future of healthcare by equipping yourself with leadership skills and essential tools. Connect with leaders from across the globe, sign up for personal mentorship sessions, pick up tips for personal and professional development and find your voice as we all work toward closing the gender gap in our healthcare system.