Assistant Professor and Language Programme Coordinator
The Aga Khan University (International) in the United Kingdom is recruiting a full-time position for leading its upcoming Language Centre. The incumbent will have proven leadership skills with experience of establishing and managing successful revenue-generating programmes. The position will involve full academic duties including research, teaching and administration of language programmes.
- Undertake research activities in the field of specialisation consistent with the interests ofAKU-ISMC and in consultation with the Dean and Head of Research, AKU-ISMC.
- Pursue in-depth, independent researchwith important contributions to the field.
- Establish informal links and researchcontacts with peers at other institutions in the UK and internationally.
- Apply for external research fundingindependently and/or in collaboration with colleagues.
- Share research findings withcolleagues within and outside AKU-ISMC.
- Publish research through peer-reviewedjournal articles and/or book chapters in English.
- Supervise PhD students, as required.
- Actively engage in research activitieswithin AKU-ISMC.
- Organise, plan anddeliver the Institute's current and future language programmes.
- Teach Arabic and Persianon the Institute's MA in Muslim Cultures (a minimum of 2 courses persemester), short courses (minimum of 2 per academic year), summer programmeand other activities, as required.
- Ensure consistent highstandard in teaching.
- Contribute to theactivities aimed at improving teaching quality at AKU-ISMC.
- Work towards obtainingHEA (Advance HE) fellowship.
- Supervise students onAKU-ISMC's Masters programme.
- Takeresponsibility for the development, management and administration oflanguage programme for MA, short courses, summer programme and othereducational activities
- Developand implement appropriate standards, develop and review curriculum,pedagogical and assessment requirements for the language programme
- Developand coordinate evaluation of language programme at the end of eachsemester. Discuss outcomes and recommendations with the Head ofEducational Programmes
- Plan andcoordinate language assessments for students before the start of eachacademic year, and as required, during the year
- Plan andorganise language immersion programme for MA students. Coordinateadministrative aspects of the programme including liaison with partnerinstitutions and dealing with Programme Administrator and Student ServicesOfficer for logistics arrangements
- Participatein committee work within AKU and AKU-ISMC, as required.
- Activelycontribute to AKU-ISMC's academic programmes and activities.
- Undertakespecific projects or activities, as required, from time to time by theDean and Senior Management Team of AKU-ISMC.
- PhD in a related discipline
- Strong knowledge of Arabic and Persian texts and historical contexts of the language with demonstrated ability to teach students at an advanced level
- Ability to develop short courses in national and regional languages spoken in Muslim societies
- Excellent pedagogical skills and substantial teaching experience; including designing and delivering courses to non-native speakers at post-graduate level
- Experience of teaching and supervising a culturally diverse group of students
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, advising, and working in a multicultural environment that fosters diversity and dedication to quality/development of student learning
- Track record of planning and administration of language programme(s), with excellent organisational skills
- Sensitivity to the challenges and opportunities of teaching a second language
- Demonstrable familiarity with a range of approaches to language teaching and language assessment
- Excellent command of English with excellent communication and leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels
- High quality publications appropriate to the candidate's years of experience
- Familiarity with language centres abroad for the teaching of Arabic and Persian
- Ability to motivate students and to adopt/develop innovative methods of language teaching
- Experience of managing a team of language instructors
- Strong team working skills with good self-motivation and the ability to work autonomously
- Evidence of public engagement
- Considerable knowledge of contemporary debates concerning Muslim societies, and willingness to engage in public discussions about such issues