JOB SUMMARY: To facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety among students and staff; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy, and learning. School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students.
Reports to: The Principal of the assigned school in matters of school building administration and provision of health services in the building. Receives medical and administrative supervision from the Health Services Coordinator.
Minimum Requirements of the Position:
* Holds a valid Maryland Registered Nurse license, preferably with a BSN.
* Possesses a minimum of two (2) years of nursing experience, preferably with children or adolescents.
* Has the ability to work independently.
* Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively with teachers and other professional staff.
* Demonstrates good human relations and communications skills.
* Maintains good physical and mental health.
* Holds a current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid, preferred.
* Demonstrates keyboarding and computer skills.
Promote and maintain health and well being of students, families, and school personnel.
* Provides nursing care for those who become sick or injured.
* Administers medications and treatments to students per physician order and parent authorization.
* Participate in school-based teams; assists in the identification of students with health conditions and disabilities, interpret health factors pertinent to the student's disability and develops, implements, and evaluates the health component of the individual educational plan (IEP).
* Assist students and parents in identifying and utilizing available and appropriate community health resources
Assess and evaluate the health and developmental status of students.
* Identify student health needs through health assessment and communication with health care providers, parents, and staff.
* Facilitate the enrollment of students in the School-Based Health Center as appropriate.
* Assess, triage, and refer students to the School-Based Health Center.
Implement an individual plan of care for students with chronic health conditions and disabilities.
* Implement individualized health care plans with specific goals, objectives, and interventions based on student health needs.
* Supervise health assistants in assigned schools.
Prevent communicable diseases.
* Monitor immunization status of students in accordance with the vaccine requirements for children enrolled in Maryland public schools.
* Screen for contagious diseases and provide referral and treatment information.
Collect data and maintain health records within professional and legal boundaries and school guidelines.
* Initiate, maintain, and annually review student health records.
* Maintain statistical information regarding the health status of students and staff and the utilization of school health services.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Pay Rate: $175 daily rate