Assistant Professor in the Animation emphasis of Digital Media, BFA program is a renewable non-tenure track, full-time, and benefits-eligible position. The position possesses a strong commitment to a teaching a broad range of animation courses offered within our core curriculum and have full working knowledge of contemporary industry standard approaches, software, and tools. Assistant Professor is responsible for and contributes to teaching and curriculum development of undergraduate Digital Media courses, student advising, departmental and college service and committee involvement, and creative/professional practice. Areas of knowledge and expertise may include but are not limited to current practices in: Traditional 2D, and 3D animation. This position reports to the Chair of Digital Media
Location Los Angeles, CA (Westchester) Essential Duties Summary
? Teach courses as scheduled and in alignment with the mission and learning outcomes of the Department and College.
* Hold a full-time studio contact hour load; 18 contact hours per week each semester.
* Prepare the syllabus and any supporting materials associated with teaching the course, and begin each semester fully prepared for classes.
* Maintain the course content and pedagogy relevant to contemporary approaches and academic/industry standards.
* Develop pedagogy for introducing and discussing diverse topics beyond Euro-centric approaches and creating inclusive learning environment.
* Record attendance and grading in timely manner for students and the College record keeping
* Advise students outside of class hours regarding academic issues during the defined office hours. Refer students as needed to Student Affairs and other Campus Life resources
? Serve 6 hours on average per week in service to the department and the College, as assigned by the Department Chair.
* Participate and contribute to College's shared governance system through Academic Assembly, Faculty Senate, Academic Assembly subcommittees, ad-hoc committees, task forces of various topics.
* Departmental services may include but not limited to provide academic advising to departmental students, attend departmental meetings, organize visiting artists/designer series for department, monitor department lab hours, assist chairs to schedule courses and assign physical resources, supervise teaching/classroom assistants, and represent department to internal and external events and occasions as assigned, and etc.
* Contribute to Program assessment as scheduled
? Sustain strong record of creative/professional practice.
* Maintain active creative/professional practices.
* Maintain active professional network.
? Other Responsibilities may include the following.
* Mentor diverse students and for their successful progress.
* Demonstrate commitment to student success and a healthy classroom environment
* Demonstrate professionalism and cooperation with colleagues.
* Evaluate and rethink pedagogy.
* Adhere to College policies and procedures
* Demonstrate sustained efforts and initiatives to achieve departmental and College goals.
? An MFA/Mdes/MA/PhD in Digital Media, Animation, and/or related field or equivalent professional degree/experiences is required.
? Two years of teaching experience beyond graduate school is preferred.?
Sustained record of creative/professional practice in Digital Media, Animation, and related field is required.
? Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaborative skills are equired.
? Demonstrated teaching effectiveness in the field of Animation, Digital Media, or related field is strongly preferred
? Skills in 2D traditional animation, Toonboom Harmony, Maya, Storyboatd Pro and other related animation software are required.?
Professional standing in the contemporary animation industry.?
Strong ability to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body as part of a team of professional designers/artists/educators is required
? Demonstrated superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills required.
? Demonstrated experience in and a commitment to diversity. Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with various constituencies within Otis's diverse communities, internally and externally.?
Must be able to work efficiently, cooperatively and collaboratively in a team environment.
? Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to a changing work environment.
Preferred Qualifications Physical Demands Special Conditions for Eligibility
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal, State, and Local Employment Laws:
DFEH Workplace Discrimination (English)
DFEH Workplace Discrimination (Espanol)
EEO is the Law (English)
EEO is the Law (Espanol)
Family Medical Leave Act (English)
Family Medical Leave Act (Espanol)
Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative
Polygraph Protection Act (English)
Polygraph Protection Act (Espanol)
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a DEI Statement along with your application.