The Research Assistant is responsible for conducting literature searches, data management, recruiting participants, obtaining consents, maintaining files, scheduling and conducting interviews of patients and family members, maintaining data collection files, assisting with data analysis and generating correspondence, reports and graphics.
The Research Assistant will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Research Assistant will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.Principal Responsibilities
1. Subject Recruitment
- Contacts hospital-site staff to identify potential participants; reviews medical records to determine appropriateness of patients for study.
- Explains study to patients and family members, requests participation and obtains informed consent
- Schedules and confirms participants for hospital and/or home interviews
2. Data Collection
- Conducts on and off site interviews using a variety of structured and non-structured questionnaires
- Retrieves and records data from medical records and records data from interviews on appropriate forms
- Uses clinical judgment to alert supervisor in a timely manner that participant responses may indicate need for professional intervention
- Maintains interim contact with study participants to maintain current address and telephone information
- Assists in development of data tables, graphs and charts and preparation of material for presentation
4. Data Management
- Assists in the collection of new data; codes, cleans, transcribes, records, enters and stores all data collected; coordinates data collection with other research staff as appropriate
- Generates reports detailing data collected
- Conducts literature searches, copying and distributing articles as appropriate
- Transcribes and codes taped interviews
- Maintains an inventory of data collection forms to ensure ease of data retrieval
- Assists in analysis of qualitative and quantitative data by coding verbatim interviews
- Performs various record-keeping tasks such as filing consent forms and other data collection forms on all eligible participants to ensure ease of data retrieval and tracking of participants
5. Supports Scholarly Activities
- Attends meetings; takes minutes as assigned6.
6. Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Reporting Relationships
- Reports directly to Lab Manager, Research Scientist, or Project Director
- Normal office/research laboratory environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
- May involve travel to other hospital/research sites and possibly to participants' homes. Interviews/experiments may require flexible day, evening and/or weekend hours.
To apply for this position, please click "APPLY NOW"
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.