Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.About Abbott
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics is part of Abbott's Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
The position of Research Associate III
is within our Biologics Department located at Carlsbad, California
. This role will conduct mammalian cell culture experiments in support of mAb process development & manufacturing. Maintain mammalian cell lines and cell culture sample analysis. The role will provide support from shake flasks to SUB, up to 250L. Lab maintenance support including inventory and purchasing, equipment upkeep, related to feedstock provision for the Biotech Process R&D team. WHAT YOU'LL DO
Cell Culture Responsibilities
- Perform suspension mammalian cell culture using disposable technologies
- Perform bioreactor operation and process development for mammalian suspension cells
- Assist the technical group in optimizing mammalian cell culture in 0.5L to 250L bioreactor
- Works on problems of general complexity and may conduct investigations for projects of moderate complexity; obtains guidance on procedures that have not yet been performed previously
- Conduct investigations for project of moderate complexity; obtains guidance for more advanced projects.
- Under limited supervision, performs scientific work and a variety of laboratory procedures requiring application of standard techniques, procedures, methods and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related scientific tasks with limited guidance
- Conducts experiments, some more diverse in scope. Conducts and interprets data of experiments with greater complexity.
Expertise and Problem Solving
- Is expected to detect problems in more complicated processes in using standardization procedures because of the condition of the sample, difficulties with the equipment, etc.
- Lab Safety
- Learns and applies new knowledge to participates in routine maintenance and lab safety.
- With guidance can write clinical trial protocol and order materials needed to complete procedures; Documents development work, writing technical reports and cost estimates. Operate complex laboratory equipment and perform routine maintenance/repair. Interface with contracted repair technicians.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRINGRequired
- Work involving blood or other potentially infectious materials may be required.
- Knowledgeable of federal and other regulations, e.g. QSR's, ISO, ISO 13485, CMDR
- Carries out duties in compliance with established business policies.
- Demonstrates commitment to the development, implementation and effectiveness of Alere Quality Management System per ISO, FDA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal/external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company's policies and practices.
- Understands and is aware of the quality consequences which may occur from the improper performance of their specific job. Has awareness of device defects that may occur in their area of responsibility, including product design, verification and validation, manufacturing and testing activities.
- Perform other duties & projects as assigned.
- BA/BS in biology, biochemistry or related field with laboratory coursework directly applicable to duties with at least three years of experience in the above areas, with particular skills and knowledge in the field of specialty for the department assigned.
- Minimum three years of experience in the above areas, with particular skills and knowledge in the field of specialty for the department assigned.
- Cell culture experience and strong aseptic technique
- Experience working with bioreactors
- Team player and collaborator, ability to listen and communicate in a clear and timely manner
- Strong organizational and technical problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to think and act independently; accept supervision, work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment, critically analyze data and proactively solve problems
- Ability to work on rotating weekends.
WHAT WE OFFER
- MS in the above fields biology, biochemistry or related field with laboratory coursework directly applicable to duties with two to four years of experience in the above areas
- Experience with upstream process development of monoclonal antibodies
- Experience with downstream process of mAb production
- Experience working with different feeding strategies for the mAb production
- Working knowledge of key experimental techniques (HPLC, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot)
- IgG purification experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and technical problem-solving skills
- Independent collaborative self-starter with the ability to make appropriate quality-related decisions in real time.
- Process orientated, logical, analytical, meticulous, highly organized and able to analyze data and implement solutions.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team environment while satisfying individual responsibilities and objectives.
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: http://www.abbottbenefits.com/pages/candidate.aspx
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an
Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.