Job Description This position is at VA WNY Healthcare system but is posted and employed through Buffalo Institute for Medical Research.
Salary is based on payment per visit and this position is as a back up to the primary veterinarian currently at the facility for coverage when they are not available.
Veterinary Medical Consultant provides program oversight and veterinary clinical support with experience and training in the area of laboratory animal science and medicine.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· Direct the operation of the animal facility to ensure compliance with current animal welfare laws, regulations and policies and to support Research and Development (R&D) programs using animal subjects.
· "On-call" availability of veterinary services will be provided if problems arise needing more urgent attention.
· Provide an accurate assessment of the health and welfare of all animals by observing individual animals on a regular basis for signs of illness, injury or abnormal behavior.
· Provide regularly scheduled rounds during which time ill or injured animals will be examined and advice on veterinary care given
· Provide "hands-on" training in these areas as required.
· Monitor surgery programs and post-surgical care.
· Provide assistance to research investigators in designing research protocols utilizing animal subjects.
· Serve as the laboratory animal medicine specialist member or equivalent based on approved experience level of the IACUC of the VA WNYHS.
Active DVM license is required, experience with laboratory animal species is highly recommended.