Associate Director, Scientific Publications, Oncology
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives.
Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them.
By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead is hiring a Sr. Manager/Associate Director level experienced, well organized professional, who will develop, implement and manage observational research strategies and tactics to demonstrate the value of pipeline and inline products in Oncology.
This position is located at our Headquarters in Foster City, CA., OR REMOTE
Gilead is looking for an Associate Director, Scientific Publications, Oncology
• Leads the implementation of global publication plans and strategies for cross-functional data generating teams within the Oncology TA
• Coordinates the planning, preparation and/or review of abstracts, scientific presentations, and manuscripts for publication with internal Project Teams, external investigators, and vendors.
• Coordinates and manages all publication-related activities with external vendors.
• Manage effective external relationships with business partners (publication governance and contraction agreements)
• Collaborates with other Gilead functions to ensure consistency and strategic alignment
• Presents scientific information if needed at internal or external meetings. Coordinates and implements ongoing data for internal analysis and review.
• Determines the functions most critical to company success and supports priorities within functional area.
• Anticipates fairly complex obstacles and implements solutions that meet goals.
Ensure compliance with Gilead publication policy and external publication guidelines
Critically review publications and ensures alignment with Scientific platform
Additional responsibilities include the following:
Understand the evolving publications landscape through engagement with and participation in professional societies
Clinical support of key scientific congresses and meetings
Travel occasionally (up to 20%)
Doctorate degree and 3 years of publication planning, writing, medical affairs, medical communications, clinical or medical information experience
OR Master's degree and 8 years of publication planning, writing, medical affairs, medical communications, clinical or medical information experience
OR Bachelor's degree and 10 years of publication planning, writing, medical affairs, medical communications, clinical or medical information experience
Clear understanding of current publication environment, good publication practices, Sunshine Act/Pharma Code of Conduct, ICMJE, GPP3, and other global guidelines related to publications, scientific data communication, and transparency standards
Oncology therapeutic area knowledge
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (written, verbal, and presentation) and organizational, time management, and project management/planning skills
Demonstrated record of executing strategically and tactically in a highly matrixed environment working successfully with cross-functional, dynamic teams
Demonstrated ability to provide strategic input to senior leadership and influence decision making
Strong computer and database skills, particularly with Microsoft Office products and Datavision
Experience with the development of product communication strategy, publication strategy, and lexicon
Experience developing content across different therapeutic areas or for diverse audiences (discovery research, clinical development, global health economics, observation research, etc.)
Experience mentoring or managing a team of writers and/or vendors to manage product support (e.g., assigns writers to projects)
Experience leading critical functional or cross-functional initiatives