Are you motivated to join a dynamic, multi-tasking environment? Do you want to become part of a company that invests in its employees? We invite you seek a position where you can use your skills while continuing to be challenged and learn. We encourage you to dive deeper into this opportunity.
NeoGenomics is looking for a Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist in our Fort Myers, FL location who wants to continue to learn in order to allow our company to grow.
You will craft, develop and implement of data analysis tools and pipelines with emphasis on detailed validation and robust procedures. This role will apply or modify existing bioinformatics pipelines to improve the assay capabilities as well as their technical robustness.
You will present scientific and technical data to colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner, as well as process, analyze, and interpret high volumes of data for the development and validation of methods. There will be opportunity to supervise and evaluate analytical aspects of new and emerging technologies.
You will also assist with drafting and completing government applications (e.g. NIH, FDA, NYS, CLIA, and CAP) and manuscripts for publication; lead data analysis and interpretation of study results throughout application/publication process from draft through submission and acceptance.
Now that you know what we're looking for in talent, let us tell you why you'd want to work at NeoGenomics:
As an employer, we promise to provide you with a purpose driven mission in which you have the opportunity to save lives by improving patient care through the exceptional work you perform. Together, we will become the world's leading cancer reference laboratory.
We believe in career development and empowering our employees. Not only do we provide career coaches internally, but we offer many training opportunities to expand your knowledge base! We have highly competitive benefits with HMO and PPO options. We have company 401k match along with an Employee Stock Purchase Program. We have tuition reimbursement, leadership development, and even start employees off with 16 days of paid time off plus holidays. We offer wellness courses and have engaged employee resource groups. Come join the Neo team and be part of our outstanding World Class Culture!
- Education: Masters required. PhD strongly preferred with quantitative subject area with preferred backgrounds : (bioinformatics, computational biology, genomic sciences) but will consider others (e.g. molecular biology, statistical genetics, cancer biology or similar) that have extensive command line experience.
- Bioinformatics Scientist - Masters and 2+ years experience, or PhD and 1+ years experience to include: Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Genomic Sciences, or 1-2 yrs w/direct NGS experience. Senior Bioinformatics Scientist level to have 5+ years of proven experience.
- Required experiences with Linux and/or UNIX systems along with parallel computing environments/clusters.
- Required proficiency in Python.
- Required knowledge of common genomic terminology (exome, targeted RNA/DNA panels, gene structure), databases (UCSC/EBI/NIH), genome versions, and tools used in genomics (e.g. dbSNP, COSMIC, ClinVar, UCSC genome browser, Galaxy, IGV)
- Experience with common bioinformatics tools required (e.g. GATK, BWA, STAR, SAMtools, Picard). Required experience with direct NGS data analysis
- Required proven understanding of molecular biology with strong scientific understanding of genomics and show a strong capacity for independent thinking.
- R and Shell scripting also preferred.
- Strongly preferred working analysis experience of large genomic datasets (RNAseq profiling, somatic variant analysis, CNV analysis, bioinformatics QC of libraries, TCGA)
- Experience with Github version controlling or other code distribution/deploy software (e.g. CHEF)
- Experience working with Docker containers, cloud-based computing; developing/applying classical machine learning methods; and building and administrating databases
- Experience in cancer or genetics research, including a working understanding of computational approaches for cancer/genetic genome analysis, is helpful.
- Knowledge of Bioinformatics approaches to RNA normalization, Variant annotation, CNV tools, UMI tools, TMB, translocation and fusions identification, and MSI.
- Established scientific/technical writing and presentation skills; publication/manuscript/CAP/CLIA/NYS validation, NIH grant experience deeply preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.