Duke School has an immediate opening for a full-time School Nurse. The School Nurse serves as a key member of the Duke School community working in collaboration with our Student Support Services team, to promote a safe and healthy campus environment. The Nurse will serve as a primary caregiver to the school throughout the school day, assessing, evaluating, and managing illness, injuries, and all aspects of the health office. This position is responsible for developing and implementing health and safety policies and procedures in support of the school's mission and in compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance, the nurse monitors metrics for COVID-19 in Durham County, and reviews and shares interpretations about research and metrics related to the virus and other communicable diseases.Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the school's student support services team, collaborating with administrators and faculty to ensure students safety and well-being.
- Meet clinical health needs of the student body with regard to basic first aid, distribution of prescription and non-prescription medication, and communication with health providers (as provided), teachers, and parents regarding action plans or individual medical management plans.
- Maintain medication regimens and charting via electronic record-keeping system.
- Maintain proper storage and security of medications and medical/health records, ensuring compliance with HIPAA requirements.
- Maintain inventory of health-related supplies in clean and safe work environment.
- Provide health and first aid screenings, evaluation of symptoms regarding injury and illness, and documentation and communication with teachers and parents regarding student visits to the health office.
- Provide health promotion teaching or webinar delivery management to faculty/staff, students, and parents on medical/health topics, including maintaining one's own First Aid/CPR/AED certification.
- Help develop and advise on school policies for medical/health issues, safety, emergency response and disaster preparedness.
- Serve as a member of the school's Clinical Analyst Group that addresses COVID-19 preparation and response.
- Maintain proficiency with guidance, policies, or orders related to COVID-19 at the school, county, state, and federal level to address questions and topics that arise.
- Communicate with Durham County Public Health Department and implement directives related to COVID-19 and its spread within the school community. Oversee and conduct COVID-19 testing processes as necessary.
- Ability to be understanding, caring and sympathetic to the need of children ages 3 - teen years and their families
- Familiarity with educational institutions and understanding of unique needs of a school setting in maintaining confidentiality and school safety
- Previous pediatric care/nursing experience a plus
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently with exceptional initiative and judgment and collaboratively with faculty, staff and community
- Appreciation of and commitment to serving the needs of multiple constituencies (students, parents, faculty, staff, and community members) of a diverse population
- Proficient with data management systems and basic computer applications; willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed
- The successful candidate must submit a copy of current certifications and/or license to the School.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.