Job DescriptionDescription/Job Summary
The BCCC Community Health Worker (CHW) Workforce Development Training Program is a 12-week course sequence that provides entry into the healthcare field for Baltimore City residents, while earning certification through the Maryland Department of Health. Upon completion of the CHW courses, students are prepared to serve as a frontline public health worker.
The CHW serves as an intermediary between health and social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery. A CHW also builds individual and community capacity by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities such as outreach, community education, the provision of information to support individuals in the community, social support and advocacy.Responsibilities/Duties
- The CHW Instructor provides classes and supervises clinical experiences that prepare students for Certification through the MD Department of Health.
- The CHW Instructor ensures students demonstrate a mastery in core competencies, including:
- Advocacy and community capacity building skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Cultural competency
- Understanding of ethics and confidentiality issues
- Knowledge of local resources and system navigation
- Care coordination support skills
- Teaching skills to promote healthy behavior change
- Outreach methods and strategies
- Understanding of public health concepts and health literacy.
- The CHW Instructor assist with and confirms student registration, and related student enrollment and update forms.
- Conduct testing and scoring of pre- and post-assessments; Advise students; Assign instructional level and provide educational information to other on- or off-campus sites as necessary.
- Maintain student data, prepare student enrollment, attendance, and update reports.
Required QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Experience in the Healthcare setting, specific to the management and use of CHW
- Certification as a CHW, or related field, such as Nursing or Health Administration
- Experience teaching Healthcare classes at secondary or postsecondary level (including on-line delivery of instruction and assessment)
- Experience in placing and/or supervising clinical experiences related to certification.
Preferred QualificationsPreferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2 years' experience teaching adults in a structured environment
5 years' experience teaching adults in a structured environment