About Us: The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI's mission - to inspire the inventive genius in everyone - is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences. The Museum of Science and Industry provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students and teachers in science and science-related disciplines, with a vision to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering and medicine.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI's garage and more! If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you!
The Job: The Vice President of Exhibitions & Engagement oversees the creative process for inspiring exhibits and engaging storytelling that speak to its audiences with a provocative and futuristic voice. Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP will create, design, budget and install the next generation of MSI exhibitions and engagements, which includes temporary and permanent exhibits as well as other innovative and engaging Museum experiences.
* Create and direct the implementation of a viable long term strategic plan that delivers innovative and engaging exhibits in addition to programming with fully integrated guest experiences.
* Develop and oversee process for managing and executing exhibits on time and within budget with all MSI stakeholders.
* Lead the strategy and creative innovation process for exhibit development in collaboration with other Museum leadership.
* Cultivate, grow, and manage external partnerships to develop and/or enhance content in exhibits and programming.
* Spearhead MSI's efforts to be fully experienced by all visitors, providing leadership in creating exhibitions that are culturally and physically accessible by all.
* Expand our reach and impact through innovative museum experiences, traveling exhibitions, core educational programming and digital initiatives.
* Engage with donors through new outreach, events, and impactful interactions with our employees, volunteers, and community partners.
* Ensure the Museum's collection of 35,000+ artifacts, including oversight for collection policies regarding the process of accessions and deaccessions.
* Responsible for financial management of the division, including developing and managing annual budgets.
* Minimum 12 years' related experience with 8+ years' experience leading high performing teams required. Prior Museum experience is strongly preferred.
* Bachelor's degree preferred.
* Confident communicator comfortable cultivating, growing, and managing external strategic partnerships and collaboration.
* Ability to foster a positive environment for participation, collaboration, and innovation
* Strong track record of providing creative leadership to deliver masterful storytelling demonstrated through cutting-edge exhibitions, programming, and fully integrated guest experiences
* Superior conceptual and critical thinking abilities
* Ability to lead a team to curate and turn ideas into life and deliver creative results within budget partners while encouraging brainstorm brainstorming, research, and development.
* Excellent working knowledge of interactive design, user-centered experience design and new platforms for digital technologies.
* Strong sense of design and experience in cultivating a team with diverse set of ideas and skills to achieve organizational impact.
* Ability to assemble diverse and inclusive teams with the goal of integrating individual disciplines to create a greater overall experience is strongly desired.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.