Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation's most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.Job Summary
Drexel University's College of Nursing and Health Professions (CNHP) is seeking an Associate Dean for Research. Drexel University and the CNHP have unprecedented potential to advance unique and highly sought after programs of research based in use-inspired team science that address global, national, and local health and health care challenges, and specifically health equity, the impact of racism, discrimination and social and structural determinants of health on wellbeing. The Associate Dean for Research will play a critical role in realizing the potential of CNHP to advance the science of nursing and each of the health professions it represents and for it to contribute to the science of health equity. The College's and University's emerging strategic vision is to enhance its research profile, grow external funding and strengthen and maintain its R1 status.
The selected candidate must hold an ethos, and research perspective that aligns with CNHP's Mission, Vision and Core Values below (https://drexel.edu/cnhp/about/mission/Statement/).
The Associate Dean for Research is the chief research officer for the College of Nursing and Health Professions (CNHP) and serves to support research and scholarly work. The Associate Dean for Research will work to develop scholarly activities in all academic areas and support institutional research through the development of policies and strategic partnerships between the College of Nursing and Health Professions, other Colleges, Drexel University, funding agencies and other entities. Working closely with the Dean and other senior leadership, s/he will serve as the primary liaison between CNHP and the University's Offices of Research and Research Accounting Services, federal and state funding agencies, collaborating institutions as well as other external partners.
The Associate Dean for Research will have responsibility for overseeing the Office of Research, Discovery and Innovation in CNHP and its staff, promoting, supporting, and expanding the research and scholarship mission within CNHP while ensuring that these responsibilities are actively and effectively pursued and valued. The successful candidate will assist faculty to obtain and manage external funding and work closely with the Dean, Associate Deans, Finance, Chairs and faculty on strategic initiatives to develop the research and scholarship mission and a diverse funding portfolio for CNHP.Essential Functions
- The Associate Dean for Research in CNHP has both an outward and inward facing role and associated responsibilities. Within CNHP, the ADR responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversight of the Office of Research, Scholarship and Innovation
- Supervision of grants administration and modifying procedures to enhance efficiencies and assure "customer" service
- Identifying internal funding initiatives that align with priority areas and faculty interests
- Developing research/scholarship mentoring activities including but not limited to conducting grant writing workshops and monthly "aims" page group consultations, and working with chairs, and Associate Dean for Interprofessional Research and Professional Development on crafting research mentorship trajectories for tenure/tenure track faculty
- Modeling ethical research behavior and practices
- Engaging in select research studies as appropriate
- Advancing core research areas and a research identity for CNHP
- Identifying potential funding mechanisms to support those areas
- Organizing writing groups to respond to select funding initiatives
- Overseeing and providing direction to research Interest Groups and their annual institute/workshop
- Promoting and supporting CNHP core research laboratories and developing a marketing and strategic positioning plan
- Promoting health equity as a core value and imperative in research and identifying and enacting strategies for its infusion in research (this may include for example, helping to forge workshops on health equity frameworks, methodologies, analytic frameworks)
- Identifying funding mechanisms that resonate with the CNHP faculty talents and health equity lens
- The ADR outward facing responsibilities include but are not be limited to
- Representing CNHP at University-based ADR and research meetings
- Representing CNHP to other colleges and identifying possible joint collaborative funding opportunities
- Identifying key health care systems and community-based organizations to forge research partnerships
- Identifying funding mechanisms for such partnerships
- Identifying and overseeing development of bootcamps or summer/fall research institutes favoring our expertise
- Establish global research partnerships
- Track funding trends, NIH requirements globally
- PhD or Doctorate
- 5+ years of experience
- Candidates for the Associate Dean for Research must hold a research doctorate, be eligible for tenure at the rank of full Professor in one of the departments of the College, proven success as an extramurally funded research and an active extramurally funded research program, and experience managing interdisciplinary teams.
- The successful candidate will possess strong evidence of leadership and interdisciplinary collaboration, demonstrated experience in leading and performing in a dynamic academic environment and highly developed consultative, negotiation, and communication skills. The candidate will
Center City - Philadelphia, PASpecial Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and
cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will continue until a suitable candidate pool is identified.