- Working with the research team to collect Ratoon Stunting Disease (RSD) samples for seed cane fields
- Working with research technicians to collect and process soil samples, assist US Sugar's soil lab scientists in soil analysis procedures, and interact with Chief Soil Scientist to learn about fertilizer recommendations for sugarcane.
- Working with the Florida sugarcane industry's Barbados variety development team to select seedlings, check Brix values, and learn the criteria for visual variety selection in all four stages of the sugarcane variety development process.
- Assisting US Sugar's research scientists with various fertilizer and variety research trials as needed. This may include planting, fertilizing, taking measurements, crop scouting, data input and analysis
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- A strong interest in Agronomy, Soil Science, Plant Science, or related field; college education is desired but not necessary.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills by using open communication, relationship building, cultural diversity, time management and decision making skills.
- Must pass a Drug Test and other pre-employment background screening.
- Must successfully complete any required training or orientation course.
The work environment characteristics and physical requirements described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Working Conditions
- Duties of this job are also performed outside in an agricultural environment.
- May be expected to work in conditions which may be rainy, hot, humid, dusty, etc. depending on the weather.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- The job has intermittent periods during which mild physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, stooping, climbing, lifting material or light equipment, some of which may be awkward.
- Work entails continuous exposure to such things as dust, fumes, temperature extremes, strong drafts, or bright lights.
- Ability to operate and use all equipment necessary.
- Ability to safely work on an isolated farm location or in a location where work is being performed with minimal supervision
- Ability to move or handle various items generally weighing between 0-30 pounds; ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
This information indicates the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this position. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. This description supersedes and previous or undated descriptions for this position. Management has the right to add or change the duties for this position at any time.