This Chemist position is contract support for the Army Petroleum Laboratory located in New Cumberland, PA. The laboratory does Quality Surveillance testing of petroleum products. The lab receives fuels and other petroleum products from Army customers to test according to specification requirements. Tise position is a bench chemist position, and work involves prolonged periods of walking and standing.
This chemist position performs various physical and chemical analysis of bulk petroleum fuels, packaged petroleum products and chemicals for quality surveillance, quality conformance or verification, and environmental compliance programs established in support of the Army and other DOD agencies.
This position is essential to the lab's mission to analyze, identify and test various organic substances such as lubricants, greases, oils, aqueous fluids, and chemicals. Job Duties:
- This Chemist reviews test results to evaluate adherence to ASTM, SAE, military and contract specifications, regulatory environmental compliance, and/or to resolve equipment/facilities operational problems.
- Will be required to develop and implement new laboratory tests and/or analytical methods in support of customer requirements for product testing and to interpret and explain results to customers.
- Responsible for learning the operation of new equipment; and in turn would write Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and would assist/teach the other personnel.
- Make recommendations as to equipment purchases needed to facilitate requested testing requirements.
- Should research literature and maintains liaisons with engineers, scientists, technical personnel, procurement specialists, manufacturers, and contractor representatives to determine the scope of testing required for submitted samples.
- Operates/ directs the operation, calibration, adjustment, maintenance, and repair of sophisticated laboratory instruments such as wavelength dispersive x-ray fluorescence (WDXRF) spectrometer, particle counting spectrometer, FTIR, ICP, AA, gas chromatograph (GC), etc.
- Ensure that quality control and safety requirements are established, implemented, and maintained in both the package products and fuels area.
- A BS in chemistry is required plus 0 to 2 years experience.
- Experience working in a quality control environment or with petroleum products would be a plus, as would knowledge of the ISO 17025 quality program. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team is required.
- The candidate would be required to obtain and hold a SECRET clearance.
Security Clearance: Secret
Telework - Not Eligible