Berkeley Lab's Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to build and deploy large databases and data mining to better understand mechanisms of solar photovoltaic module failure.
In this role, you will be involved with building a data management system for materials science data collected by external collaborators for theoretical simulation data, external data from instrumentation, and solar module reliability data. You will then build web-based toolkits for downloading, analyzing, and interactively exploring the data (e.g., via interactive charts and dashboards). This will be followed by building web-based toolkits for downloading, analyzing, and interactively exploring the data (e.g., via interactive charts and dashboards). Finally, you will develop data mining analyses to combine information from all data sets and reveal mechanisms and trends pertaining to why certain solar modules fail while others can last for decades. You will be expected to publish these findings in journal articles and conferences.
What You Will Do:
* Develop and maintain materials databases and online dashboards for interactively exploring materials data.
* Develop and apply data mining and statistical learning methods in combination with physical models of solar modules to extract trends and insights.
* Write and contribute to large software frameworks.
* Write and publish papers.
What is Required:
* A recent Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Material Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, or related field.
* Extremely high aptitude and desire for programming and building software infrastructure including object-oriented programming, databases (MongoDB preferred), software engineering practice (version control, unit testing, continuous integration).
* Prior ability or desire to learn data mining and data analysis.
* Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills that facilitate interdisciplinary work across multiple institutions.
What We Prefer:
* Python programming experience.
* Experience with web development (HTML/CSS/JQuery, frameworks e.g. Flask).
* Experience in the field of solar photovoltaics.
For full consideration, please apply by October 1, 2021 with the following application materials:
* Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
* Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
* This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
* Salaries for postdoctoral positions depend on years of experience post-degree and are predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
* This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
* This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
* Due to COVID-19, this position may initially be performed remotely but limited to individuals who can reside in the United States. Once the Lab resumes to full onsite operations, work may resume onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world's most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab's scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science.
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) works on developing advanced batteries and fuel cells for transportation and stationary energy storage, grid-connected technologies for a cleaner, more reliable, resilient, and cost-effective future, and demand-responsive and distributed energy technologies for a dynamic electric grid.
Berkeley Lab's Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.