The Superintendent of Schools announces the following position within the Fall River Public School System:
Position: Nurse (LPN) -LPN assistant for School Registration, Enrollment, and Director of Nursing Support
Job Description: The Nurse (LPN) is responsible for assisting the Director of Nursing with developing, implementing, and managing health programs within the district. Responsibilities include student registration/intake, program management, nursing services, health education, community health planning, and professional practice under the guidance of the Director of Nursing.
* Assists the Director of Nursing with managing the district health programs consistent with the Massachusetts guidelines, regulations, and statutes governing nursing, school health, and local school district policy.
* Assists the Director of Nursing to implement policies, procedures, and specific programs for comprehensive school health education and services.
* Assist with needs assessment, student registration/intake and data collection procedures.
* Provides support for state-mandated programs such as immunization surveillance and screening programs.
* Maintains comprehensive school health records under the supervision of the nursing supervisor.
* Provides assistance to the Director of Nursing to prepare written reports for school officials and MDPH and other agencies for services provided by the program, including number of students served, etc.;
* Carries out communicable disease prevention and infection control following current guidelines for universal precautions, proper handling for blood-borne pathogens exposure, and medical waste disposal.
* Assists with any other relevant duties within the scope of an LPN, or as assigned by Director of Nursing.
* Collects information about the health and development status of the student, his/her family, and significant others in a systematic manner, including histories, screening results and physical assessment.
* May be called upon to provide first aid to injured children and staff or provide everyday care of acutely ill children, under the guidance and supervision of the assigned RN.
* Maintains current knowledge in areas such as (a) professional issues in school nursing, (b) school/ community health, (c) disease control, (d) growth & development, (e) health assessment, (f) special health conditions, (g) injury prevention & emergency care, (h) health counseling, health education and promotion, (i) current adolescent issues.
* Continues their own education; uses expert consultation and supervision, as needed.
* Responsible for reviewing medical records of new students registering with the School Department.
* Monitor compliance with current and updated state immunization, health assessment requirements, and state guidance.
* Collaborates with other professionals, team members, and community providers in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and school health activities to maximize and coordinate services.
* Build relationships with community medical providers to facilitate effective communication.
* Reviews, records and researches any medical records required for student registration in compliance with state and federal guidelines.
* Contacts parents/guardians to obtain additional medical documentation if needed.
* Connect new incoming students; especially the McKinney-Vento and students newly arrived from outside the US, to their assigned school and nurse team.
* Assists with referral information for community resources for students with health needs, including locating primary care providers, and participates in the planning and implementation of new services.
* Assists with referrals for students at-risk for physical and psychosocial problems, communicates health needs to other school personnel as appropriate, using the referral system for internal and community resources.
* Graduate of a Practical Nursing program approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
* Must have a current Massachusetts license to practice as a Practical Nurse.
* A minimum of two years of supervised nursing experience in community health or child health preferred.
* Maintains certification in CPR/AED and First Aid from a recognized provider, e.g. American Heart Association.
* Experience with medically fragile or special needs students preferred.
The Superintendent of Schools reserves the right to waive a position qualification or determine that there is an acceptable alternative to that qualification. If the Superintendent intends to waive a qualification, such intent will be shared with the Fall River School Committee.
Reports To Director of Nursing
Salary/Terms of Employment: In accordance with the Fall River Educator's Contract, Unit B. Continued employment is contingent on work performance, program need, and funding.
Closing Date for Applications: Until filled
The Fall River Public Schools offers all programs, activities, and employment opportunities without regard to race, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age and disability.