Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The primary functions of this position are the performance of analytical testing on raw ingredients, in-process and finished product, and plant utilities. This also includes testing for the release of the product to manufacturing for further processing, filling, and finishing. Schedule 4 -10-hour shifts Wednesday through Saturday 0630 to 1700
. Entry-level position with growth ability within the quality lab and microbiology lab.
Relocation is unavailable .
Our location in Tipp City, OH
currently has an opportunity for an Associate Chemist I
With state-of-the-art equipment and advanced automation, Abbott's Tipp City, Ohio, facility was named Food Engineering Magazine's "2017 Plant of the Year." Working here, you'll feel part of a family - a family of 260 that works together to help nourish the world.WHAT YOU'LL DO
•The primary functions of this position are the performance of analytical testing on raw ingredients, in-process and finished products, and plant utilities. This also includes testing for the release of the product to manufacturing for further processing, filling, and finishing.
•Conducts raw ingredient analysis - Includes simple titrations, identity, sediment testing, etc.
• Conducts in-process and finished product testing including vitamin analysis, protein analysis, mineral analysis, fat by Mojonnier extraction technique and CEM Hybrid Determination Trac, total solids determination, Iodide, and chloride testing, vitamin C testing, mineral analysis.
• Performs Standardization for test KOH and final water calculations and physical tests such as pH, viscosity, grain color, sensory evaluation.
• Makes batch adjustments by generating appropriate documentation for batch corrections and optimizations. Makes batch calculations by generation and distribution of work orders and associated controlled documentation.
• Conduct special testing required under an Interim Operating Procedure or any testing required under certification or validation protocols and assist in investigations into testing problems as required under the Retest Policy.
• Observes all safety rules and regulations. Reports incidents, near misses chemical spills in the proper manner to crew leader and/or supervisor.
• Completes project work as assigned by supervision and management. This may include troubleshooting and maintenance of analytical equipment and test methods, maintaining related documentation, coordinating efforts with vendors/plant/Division personnel, developing appropriate training classes.
• Responsible for maintaining an adequate inventory of all supplies related to the analytical laboratory. Responsible for training new chemists on all laboratory operations which includes methods, procedures, documentation, maintenance and safety.
• Conducts control sample analysis to determine the validity of concurrent testing per method, Clean in place (CIP) Residual testing, daily flavor and aroma of oils and weekly peroxide testing of oils, and completes any associated documentation.
housekeeping responsibilities. Completes Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly standardization, maintenance, system suit abilities and testing.
You'll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING
- High School Diploma or GED required and college math and science course.
- Bachelor's Degree of Science (preferably Chemistry) preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
• Ability to follow verbal instructions, recognize signs, follow written directions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use their knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervisor. Mathematics knowledge would include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills, computer skills and statistical comprehension is desirable.
• Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
• The ability to effectively communicate with chemists, operators, crew leaders and management with varying levels of education and experience. Also recognizing the sometimes-conflicting roles of manufacturing and quality assurance, and the ability to maintain clear priorities, and stay in compliance at all times.
• Able to effectively train new chemists on all procedures and methods in the laboratories. This position requires a high level of flexibility, adaptability and personal accountability due to the type and timing of the work involved.