Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our location in Altavista VA
currently has an opportunity for an Assistant Chemist I
. This site is Abbott's largest Nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. But working here, you'll feel part of a family - a family of 650+ that works together to help nourish the world.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Observe all safety rules and regulations. Report incidents, near-misses, and chemical spills in the proper manner to chemist acting as shift lead, front line leader, or manager.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment, participate in Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) programs, and forward any opportunities for improvement.
- Perform assays in accordance with required methods. Ensure test results meet specification limits and that appropriate quality actions are taken to achieve acceptable product status.
- Ensure data is entered into a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) as well as any other applicable systems or documented on appropriate forms.
- Coordinate testing with processing stages and filling or drying requirements to ensure minimum downtime during processing, filling or drying operations.
- Set batch yields, optimize and release product to the filling or dryer production departments from the processing department.
- Perform finished product tests, including line monitoring, dilution, and carryover.
- Conduct non-routine testing (e.g., deviation, engineering studies) under certification or validation protocols, and assist with investigations of testing issues as required.
- Complete project work as assigned.
You'll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU'LL BRINGRequired
- High School Diploma / GED
- 1 semester of appropriate college science-related studies and/or 1 semester of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus) and/or 1 year laboratory experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Bachelor's degree Preferred; science-related with 1 year of appropriate college lab studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus).
- Follow verbal and written instructions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervision.
- Mathematics knowledge to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills, computer skills, and statistical comprehension is desirable.
- Communicate effectively with other chemists, operators, and management with varying levels of education and experience.
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.