The Automation Engineer will support the integration of process and analytical technologies, instrumentation, and automation software and system design across new and emerging semi- and fully-continuous manufacturing platforms in the global facilities used by Pharmaceutical Sciences Small Molecule.
The successful candidate will collaborate with current technology experts within PSSM, WRD Business Technology, and Pfizer Global Engineering Supply to contribute to the development of an overarching Process Control and Automation strategy for our innovative manufacturing approaches for both drug product and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. This strategy will ensure consistency in control methodology and convention and ultimately timely and efficient transfers as novel technology platforms evolve through Development to Commercial deployment.
Initial opportunities for contribution will include: supporting the design and implementation of the new Sandwich Pilot Plant Process control system, aiding the implementation efforts for the PCMM (Portable Continuous Modular and Miniature) platform for solid oral dose manufacture, and advising on control approaches for the early elements of the FAST (Flexible API Supply Technology) initiative. As such, experience with continuous manufacturing would be an advantage in either the drug product or API areas. Experience with process safety principles, GMPs, GAMP, engineering and quality documentation systems, and change controls would be considered an advantage.
This role is anticipated to become a central connective point between the manufacturing equipment, the analytical instrumentation, the various software platforms and data repositories so that effective architectures can be deployed and maintained ensuring appropriate data flows and accessibility is enabled. Additional connectivity to the Scientific Data Cloud is also anticipated to become a requirement. In this instance the candidate will work with the Scientific Data Cloud community to ensure alignment with those requirements.
The candidate is expected to work extensively with the PAT and modeling SME's on the integration of online process and analytical needs to the broader system architecture. Effective off-line design and controlled implementation of system updates and robust adherence to structured change control (conducting impact assessments, quality records, etc.) are also important aspects of the role responsibilities.
This position has the potential for alignment activities across multiple locations including Sandwich, England, Ringaskiddy, Ireland and Freiburg, Germany. This position will be based in Groton, CT with some international travel required. Role Responsibilities
- The selected candidate will develop and integrate Process Control, PAT and Advanced Control for laboratory and manufacturing processes.
- Control Systems integration in the first instance working on the Solid Oral dose continuous manufacturing (PCMM) platform.
- Control Systems integration design and implementation for the FAST suite of platforms (Flow Hydrogenation, CCID, PFR, LLE).
- Consult on System design, specification, and implementation support for the new manufacturing platforms including but not limited to the Process control system at the Sandwich Process Development Facility (API Manufacturing Pilot Plant).
- Provide direction and oversight of resources at control system vendors for FAST platforms
- Understand and implement current Data Integrity requirements into above designs
- Provide support and connectivity to the Scientific Data Cloud effort within PSSM to reuse manufacturing data to create high fidelity models
- MA Degree and 7 years of experience in Engineering, Math or Computer science with demonstrated experience in automation.
- Demonstrated ability in programming and debugging embedded systems using languages such as C, LabView, Python, DeltaV or similar. Familiarity with Linux OS on embedded systems a plus.
- Experience using version control software, such as Github.
- Should be comfortable generating code in one of the IEC 61131-3 languages.
- Should be familiar and have documented (e.g. Github) contributions to open source automation tools, such as Node, OpenPLC, node-red
- Demonstrated written/verbal communication, project management, and collaborative skills are required for this position.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS (If Applicable)
- PhD and 0-3 years' experience in Engineering, Math or Computer science with experience in automation.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
- Role may require some off-hour availability to provide remote support for design, implementation, and/or system troubleshooting for operations in other time zones.
- Up to 10% Travel including international locations
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.