Pfizer's Rare Disease Research Unit (RDRU) is focused on developing therapeutic solutions for patients with rare disorders. We are seeking a laboratory-based Senior Scientist to be part of an interdisciplinary team to execute and oversee preclinical studies in support of Pfizer's gene therapy portfolio. This role will have a strong focus on gene therapy delivery related to rare neurological and metabolic diseases. The individual will work independently in the laboratory as well as a member of cross-functional and collaborative project teams. The Senior Scientist will use their scientific judgment in making decisions within their area of expertise, proactively gather input from colleagues, and develop assays to ensure efficient and timely execution of team's deliverables. This Senior Scientist should have advanced expertise in at least two of the following areas: cell-based assay development, microscopy imaging techniques, mouse study design/execution.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and generate optimal transgene cassettes for packaging into AAV vectors. Work will include building, optimizing and testing AAV transgene expression cassettes in vitro.
- Design and execute in vivo studies to evaluate AAV vector expression in rodents.
- Generate quality data and lead aspects of AAV-based gene therapy projects in the RDRU pipeline.
- Partner with other Pfizer Research and Development teams, especially those in drug metabolism and safety to develop translational preclinical packages with the goal of identifying gene therapy drug candidates.
- Support high-priority projects in the RDRU portfolio.
- Work with external collaborators and Contract Research Organizations.
- Ph.D. in life sciences with > 3 years of post-doctoral experience.
- Scientific training and background in molecular biology, genetics and AAV virology.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Evidence of scientific accomplishments in the form of publications and presentations.
- Experience supporting a multidisciplinary project team including generating high-quality data in a time-sensitive environment, assimilating new information from multiple sources, and effectively communicating with internal and external scientists.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work independently including analysis and troubleshooting of experimental results and reviewing literature to formulate new approaches.
Other Job Details
- Experience in investigating mechanisms of neurological diseases
- Hands-on experience with AAV transgene construct design, molecular cloning, and testing vector transduction pharmacology in vitro and/or in vivo is preferred.
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development