Location: La Jolla, CA
Position type: Research and Development
The Development Sciences team at Avidity Biosciences in La Jolla, CA is seeking an experienced data/bioinformatic scientist to define and build the bioinformatics function at Avidity across preclinical and clinical research. The ideal candidate enjoys problem solving, has a passion for learning and teaching, and has used multi-dimensional data to visualize, elucidate and communicate drug mechanisms and disease pathophysiology. Proven ability supporting analysis of large and complex multi-omics data sets is required. He/She should enjoy scientific discovery and collaboration in a fast-paced interdisciplinary environment.
- Develop/implement quality assessment methods, statical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics dataset (e.g., bulk RNAseq, WES, WGS, nanostring, multiplex qPCR)
- Build the bioinformatics and data analysis pipeline/visualization infrastructure, data storage and analytical capabilities within Avidity
- Design and apply bioinformatics/statistical algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses, etc.
- Serve as a resource for the most current data visualization, bioinformatics and statistical methods
- Leverage his/her experience and skills in bioinformatics, biostatistics, and/or data science to support biomarker discovery and development efforts to elucidate drug MoA and disease biology to bring meaningful therapies to patients.
- PhD in bioinformatics, statistics, computational biology or related discipline with minimum 2 years of relevant experience in pharmaceutical industry; Masters degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience will also be considered
- Direct experience analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale datasets is required (e.g., single-cell or bulk RNAseq, microarray or other genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic and/or other)
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods for probability theory, statistical power, univariate and/or multi-variate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis and/or deep learning, etc.
- Must be proficient in statistical and scripting programming language, such as R, RShiny, Python, Perl or other
- Expertise developing/deploying algorithms and applications for predictive modeling, pattern recognition, machine learning, data mining and/or visualization of large scale multi-dimensional datasets will be needed
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with other research scientists in a multidisciplinary and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to collaborate to synthesize scientific questions into clear, coherent analyses, iterate on requirements, visualize and communicate scientific findings to enable data driven solutions
- Possess analytical/problem-solving skills with a drive for results and flare for visual representations of data
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to collaborate and work cross functionally