The Emergency Observation Unit consists of 16 beds (8 on 5B, and 8 on 6B).
The Observation Unit is dedicated to efficient care of patients from the Emergency Department who do not meet inpatient admission status but are not immediately appropriate to send home. Patients are seen 24 hours a day by an advanced practice provider in conjunction with the Emergency Medicine Attending Physician.
The Observation CNAs work as part of an interdisciplinary care team to provide individualized family-centered care for adult patients determined to need ongoing monitoring and care under the observation patient classification (24-48 hours).
Function/Duties of Position
OHSU cares for patients of varying acuity in the Observation unit. A successful candidate will be able to practice independently and will engage in effective teamwork. Observation CNAs understand the importance of their role within the team and work to provide effective and efficient care to the patients we serve.
Common patient presentations in the Observation Unit include:
- Resolved chest pain with unknown etiology
- Observation post-traumatic injury
- Abscess requiring IV antibiotics
- Patients with resolved TIA symptoms
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Current Oregon State Board of Nursing- Nursing Assistant II Certification at time of hire
- Unencumbered criminal background check
- BLS must be issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network branch of AHA ( upload documentation with online application) at time of hire
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team, and work in situations with multiple demands and priorities.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively
- Basic Math Skills
- Ability to assist patients and staff in transferring and lifting patients.
- Basic Medical Terminology knowledge
- A minimum of one year of recent experience as a CNA in an acute care setting such as the Emergency Department, Medical Surgical Unit, or ICU
- Some College Education
- Experience in documentation in an Electronic Medical Record.
- Experience in an Observation unit or short stay setting
During orientation precepted shifts will vary based on preceptor and team schedules and could be any day Monday through Sunday 07-1930, or 1900-0730.
OHSU provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities, by request to the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) department at firstname.lastname@example.org. OHSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. Applicants with disabilities can request reasonable accommodation by contacting the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148.
All are welcome Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com. Apply for this job online Email this job to a friend Share on your newsfeed