*Title: *Assistant Vice President, Data & Policy Analysis (DPA)
*Department/Office: *Data & Policy Analysis/Academic Affairs
*Supervisor: *Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Academic Officer
*Status: *Full-Time; Exempt
*Level: *Assistant Vice President
*Location: *Washington, DC
*Application Deadline: *Applications will be reviewed as received with preference given to applications received by September 26, 2021
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) is seeking an Assistant Vice President, Data & Policy Analysis (DPA) to provide leadership to advance the development and application of data, research, and analysis to support APLU initiatives, priorities, and advocacy in collaboration with the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Academic Officer. The ideal candidate will have experience working at a higher education association or university system or campus; a solid understanding of issues, policies, and trends in higher education related to data analytics, national data policy, and student success; and experience engaging on national policy, preferably on issues related to public research universities. The incumbent must also be a strong relationship-builder and exceptional communicator, with a commitment to advancing public education and diversity and inclusion. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC. (Employees are working remotely from locations within DC, MD, VA at least through 2021 due to COVID0-19.) For more information, please consult [www.aplu.org](http://www.aplu.org).
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 244 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 5 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $49.2 billion in university-based research. For more information, consult [www.aplu.org](http://www.aplu.org).
APLU's Department of Data and Policy Analysis (DPA) is housed within its Office of Academic Affairs and provides expertise, research, data collection, and analysis support for APLU initiatives and information needs of other APLU offices. It works closely with APLU's offices of Governmental Affairs and Public Affairs on legislative priorities, promotional campaigns, and media inquiries. The Assistant Vice President has supervisory responsibilities for the Data and Policy Analysis team, which currently includes two Data Analytics Managers and a part-time Program Associate.
Additionally, DPA supports the [Â Commission on Information, Measurement, and Analysis](http://www.aplu.org/members/commissions/information-measurement-analysis/) (CIMA), a community of campus leaders committed to advancing the effective and efficient use of data and analytics to guide campus planning and decision making. CIMA provides opportunities for cross-functional discussions on data infrastructure and analysis capacity on campuses.
* In collaboration with the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Academic Officer, provide leadership to advance the development and application of data, research, and analysis to support APLU initiatives, priorities, and advocacy.
* Provide guidance and management for APLU's internal data and data analysis needs across the organization.
* Work as a collaborative team member with other offices to identify, collect and analyze appropriate data, develop processes, and provide other data support as necessary to APLU leadership to achieve the goals and priorities of the association and individual offices.
* Provides data support for APLU's Office of Governmental Affairs including data analysis of federal policy proposals and models for the development of APLU advocacy positions.
* In coordination with CIMA leadership, design, lead, and coordinate activities for CIMA, including a summer meeting and programming at the APLU annual meeting.
* Be active within the national data policy and student success communities and collaborate with organizational partners and government agencies to advance APLU's goals and objectives. For instance, represent APLU on Department of Education Technical Review Panels and the National Postsecondary Education Cooperative.
* Provide leadership for the Office of DPA, ensuring internal and external goals and objectives are met. Promote a supportive diverse, inclusive, and effective team environment, supervising staff, and providing coaching, support, training, and development opportunities as needed.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Advanced degree in higher education, public policy, social sciences, or related field.
* A minimum of 10 years relevant experience, with at least 4 years of experience working for a higher education institution, system, association, or related non-profit in a senior researcher role.
* Deep understanding and expertise on national issues, policies, and trends in higher education, including those related to data analytics, national data policy, and student success.
* Record of research in the field of higher education, institutional research, or higher education policy.
* Extensive knowledge of Department of Education higher education data, including IPEDS, College Scorecard, and sample surveys (NPSAS, BPS, and B&B). Experience working with education-related data sources at the local, state, or national level.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills. Ability to synthesize and present complex information and issues in a clear and concise format, targeted to the needs of the audience. The presence and ability to represent the association effectively before foundations, governmental, and partner entities.
* Excellent leadership and management skills, with successful experience building and maintaining supportive, diverse, inclusive work environments.
* Ability to thrive in an action-oriented, collaborative environment. Ability to think strategically, critically and creatively with the vision to accomplish long-term goals while implementing immediate projects.
* Excellent analytical, planning, project management, and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to produce high quality results on time.
* Ability to create and manage budgets.
* Strong commitment to advancing higher education initiatives and the mission of APLU as well as fostering diversity and inclusion.
* Ability to travel domestically as needed and when public health circumstances allow.
Please send a cover letter and resume to APLU's Office of Human Resources at [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line: *AVP, DPA*. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with priority given to those submitted by September 26, 2021. APLU is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and supports staff with a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting, employing, training, compensating and promoting staff regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or military service.