Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science. With annual revenue exceeding $32 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we allow our people to create meaningful contributions to the world. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing efficiency in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
This role will be based in Asheville, NC, a vibrant and artistic city with phenomenal outdoor experiences and an eclectic culinary scene. You will work with our Laboratory Products Division in the Controlled Temperature Technologies (CTT) Business Unit and be immersed in a collaborative culture with resources to deliver the refrigerated lab equipment that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals - quickly, reliably and safely.
How you will make an impact
As part of the R&D team, we collaborate with global multi-functional teams (electrical, mechanical, quality, user experience) during all phases of the NPD process to design and develop state of the art refrigeration systems that meet customer requirements and time to market commitments within target costs
• We Develop refrigeration systems operating from -150C to 4C to achieve the highest quality and long term reliability while at the same time providing environmental-friendly product designs and meeting regulatory and certification requirements from FDA, UL, CE, CSA etc.
• We Analyze thermal behavior of systems including heat & mass transfer mechanisms, fluid flow, and phase changes by use of predictive thermal fluid modeling and other thermo-physical tools for component selection and overall refrigeration system design.
• We Develop specifications for system-level, subsystem and component performance.
• We Develop and execute test plans to validate the performance of newly developed refrigeration systems by utilizing design for reliability tools and performance sensitivity analysis.
• We lead innovative new technology projects and intellectual property ideas that support future exciting new products!
How will you get here?
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics or related technical degree with course work in thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid mechanics; MS is highly preferred
• BS degree with demonstrated ability OR MS degree with 2+ years experience in the design, selection, and evaluation of refrigeration systems and components
• Strong analytical skills to analyze empirical data for thermal system, thermal system modeling and design
• Prior experience with HC based systems is highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Ability to integrate global standards and regulations into design
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• a strong Sense of ownership in projects and work assignments
Our global team of more than 80,000 colleagues delivers an outstanding combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Opportunity Employer where all are welcome. We strive to build a sense of community and offer an expansive individual and family benefits package to support all employees.