Position Title: District Nurse Position Type: Certified Responsible To: Director of Student Services Contract Amount: 190 Days Purpose:
The District Nurse is responsible for the daily operations of the district's school health services program. This includes supervision of the clinic personnel in the school district, coordinating clinical care for the special needs children of the district, ensuring safe medication administration, staff orientation and development, policy development and review, coordinating with health service providers and ensuring compliance with current federal, state and local standards/statutes. Qualifications:
- Registered Nursing License (RN) & Ohio Board of Nursing Licensure
- Ohio Department of Education school nursing license preferred
- Previous experience as school nurse or public health nurse
- Current CPR/AED certification
- Current knowledge of school policies, state requirements and health care delivery to school aged population preferred
- Minimum three (3) years in supervisory role
- Three (3) years pediatric experience
(Superintendent approval required for any variation from above listing.)Essential Functions:
- Promotes/provides safe patient care for the school age child. Includes supervision of licensed nurses and allied health professionals working with any school health service provider contracted with the district.
- Functions as medical consultant for the Superintendent and administrative offices of the Board of Education.
- Specific administrative responsibilities include role as the medical consultant with the suspected Child Abuse Program, Preschool Program, Parent/Student/School meetings, Home Instruction, and Special Transport requests.
- Submits reports in a timely fashion.
- Provides human resource management.
- Provides fiscal oversight.
- Provides vision for school health services program. Identifies school health trends, develops business plan for recommended services and programs.
- Functions as community liaison for services for school age children. Participates in strategic planning for district and leadership training programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates leadership and supervisory skills (i.e. school nurses/clinic staff).
- Ensures day to day operations of school clinics.
- Assures daily staffing to meet clinic/school needs and required state mandated screenings.
- Promotes student health, academic achievement and safety by monitoring the school health model to ensure all standards as set by the National Association of School Nurses are consistently met.
- Ensures adherence to District standards and policies.
- Ensures all mandatory state screenings and immunization reports are complete and submitted by deadlines.
- Provides administrative support for school specific programs such as the Preschool Program, Suspected Child Abuse cases, Home Instruction, and Special Transport requests.
- Responsible for School Health Services associates annual performance reviews.
- Tracks expenditures and provides information as requested for the operating budget.
- Promotes faculty and staff wellness through health and wellness programs offered during the school year.
- Maintains positive communication with the all district staff.
- Schedules, determines agenda, and leads mandatory health services staff meetings.
- Role models clinical excellence and demonstrates current technical and therapeutic skills applicable to appropriate patient populations.
- Utilizes Evidence Based Practice (EBP) to promote positive patient outcomes.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory agency standards.
- Investigates student/staff/family complaints and follows through on incident reports and corrective measures.
- Provides expert knowledge in the field of pediatrics and school health.
- Participates in discussions regarding student specific health concerns, participates in meetings, gathers pertinent information, shares information with appropriate school staff, and provides written summary reports for individual students.
- Ensures safe staff medication administration and complete documentation.
- Provides recommendations as requested by school administration to meet medical, physical and emotional requirements of special needs children.
- Conducts orientation and facilitates the ongoing professional development of school clinic nurse(s), including providing a minimum of two staff development in-services annually on school health topics.
- Provides ongoing educational programs for District staff.
- Provides information to students and parents regarding specific medical concerns and school health needs of their child to facilitate academic achievement.
- Referral source for community resources.
- Ensures age appropriate standards of care are utilized by all staff.
Subject-specific equipment.Additional Working Conditions:
- Occasional exposure to blood, bodily fluids and tissue.
- Occasional interaction among unruly children.
- Occasionally lift, carry, push and pull various items up to a maximum of 50 pounds, e.g., classroom materials and supplies.
- Frequent requirement to sit, stand, walk, hear, see, read, crouch, kneel and stoop.
- Occasional requirement to balance, climb and use color vision.
- Occasional requirement to operate school district vehicle.
- Participation and attendance in required department and staff meetings.
This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow the instructions and perform the duties required by the incumbent's supervisor, appointing authority.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.