Sr. Biologics Engineer II, MS&T (Drug Substances)
United States - New Jersey - Morris Plains
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Essential Education, Experience & Skills:
- Lead and be hands-on with manufacturing process validations and transfers within internal and external CMOs for Biologics and Anti-body Drug Conjugates (ADCs).
- Represent Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MS&T) on project core teams and sub-teams as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to coordinate multi-functional activities relating to clinical and commercial drug substance manufacturing processes, tech transfer, validation, supply/supply chain, quality/ compliance, change management and product life cycle management.
- Participate in cross functional business and scientific initiatives as the MS&T representative, and effectively collaborate and influence cross-functional partners to support MS&T objectives
- Lead technology transfer activities ensuring gap analysis/risks assessments are performed and mitigation plans are in place through internal/on-site characterization and engineering runs, ensure design spaces (PAR &NOR ranges) are built for critical process parameters for validation and routine manufacturing operations, effective information flow, issue resolution, and documentation in accordance with the expectations of tech transfer quality system.
- Lead the process validation activities ensuring design of validation strategy is in alignment with business needs, regional & global regulatory compliance and support continued process verification post validation
- Review and approve technical documentation including protocols, master batch records, and reports related to engineering, GMP and PPQ runs.
- Ensure regulatory inspection readiness and product compliance with regional regulatory requirements.
- Partnering with product development, manufacturing, quality and regulatory, lead quality investigations and data analysis as SME to address OOS, OOT, complex deviations/non-conformances and implement change controls to ensure timely/prompt release of batches to meet regional demand forecast and ensure CAPAs are in place.
- Develop and implement control strategy, identify and implement operational improvements and identify novel technological approaches to and improve product quality attributes and enhance yield.
- Cultivate excellent working relationship with stakeholders to deliver successful manufacturing campaigns.
- Apply manufacturing process lifecycle management principle for establishment and continuous improvement of process control strategy.
- Maintain strong knowledge of GMPs and manage external CMOs.
- Collaborate with process and pharmaceutical development to deliver manufacturing processes that meet the speed, yield and product quality requirements of the development programs.
- Perform critical data review and provide directions for troubleshooting and investigation.
- Demonstrate hands-on technical leadership in the laboratory, oversee and delegate experimental/project responsibilities as needed, and write/review development summary reports and author sections of regulatory submissions.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ph.D. with 0+ years, OR an M.S. with 6+ years, OR a B.S. with 8+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience. (Degrees should be in Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or relevant field.)
- Experience in managing complex manufacturing execution systems including tech transfer, process characterization, process validation of biological products is highly desirable.
- Process development and operations experience/expertise in drug product manufacturing processes including bulk freeze/thaw, mixing/pooling, filtration, filling and lyophilization.
- General understanding protein structure and its modes of degradation under various processing conditions.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.\u200b
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.