Research Scientist, Process Chemistry - Crystallization
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleResearch Scientist, Process Chemistry - Foster City, CA
Gilead Sciences currently has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated Research Scientist to join our Process Chemistry group in the Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing (PDM) organization. With your commitment and drive, you will be part of a cross-functional drug development team whose goal is to develop curative medicines helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about developing drugs, the Process Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every scientist to take part in the act of innovation. You will see the tangible results of your contributions in this dynamic workplace, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through on-going development. Our science-focused pursuit of excellence and teamwork has resulted in break-through development of many life-changing novel marketed products that are benefiting millions of people. With a robust pipeline of drug candidates at every developmental stage at Gilead, you will have ample opportunities to make meaningful contribution to our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases. Gilead's core values of integrity, inclusion, teamwork, excellence, and accountability shape our culture and are the foundation of our future success. Challenge yourself and make a difference in the world - Make your mark here at Gilead.Responsibilities & Skills:
- Work in collaboration with project team members including process chemists, analytical chemist, and formulation scientists to screen, characterize, identify, and select API/intermediate form candidates
- Conduct scientific research to design, develop, and scale up crystallization/isolation processes to deliver selected forms with desired purity, stability profiles and particle characteristics
- Works in collaboration with more senior scientists or scientific directors to advance the development of economical, state-of-the-art techniques to isolate, characterize, purify and mass-produce substances
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Advises members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work
- Makes contributions to scientific literature and conferences through publication and presentation of research results
- Maintains full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports Company interests
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates excellent verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates collaborative communication and problem solving spirit
NOTE: Please Include Research Summary with Application
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related field; or 6+ years of experience and MS; or 8+ years of experience and BS degree
- Experience in planning and executing multi-step synthetic sequences
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems
- The following knowledge/experience are preferred but are not required: fundamental understanding of computational solid state chemistry, thermodynamics and kinetics of polymorphism and crystallization, developing, modeling, and scaling up various isolation process such as crystallization, filtration, drying, and wet/dry milling.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.