*Internal Recruitment :*No
*Working Title:*Research Assistant - DEPP
*Anticipated Hiring Range:*Commensurate with Experience
*Work Schedule:*Monday - Friday / 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (occasional longer work days or Saturday, in case of emergency)
*Job Location:*Laurel, MD
*Department :* Entomology and Plant Pathology
*About the Department:*The Plant Protection and Quarantine Science and Technology (PPQ-S&T) - Plant Pathogen Confirmatory Diagnostics Laboratory's (PPCDL) mission is to provide federal confirmatory diagnostics for regulatory plant pests/pathogens; develop and validate advanced molecular and serological detection methods, and proficiency test (PT) panels for plant pests that threaten U.S. agriculture; evaluate the applicability of new, state-of-the-art technologies and methodologies in support of the agency efforts.
*Essential Job Duties:*Project Title: Quarantine Plant Pathogens Reference Material and Methods Development and Validation in support of APHIS PPQ safeguarding mission.
The Research Assistant will work under the general supervision of a Team/Project Leader to support the APHIS PPQ S&T projects on the development and validation of molecular and biochemical methods and/or PT panels for diagnostics of regulatory plant pests/pathogens. As directed, the incumbent will conduct activities relevant to the development, evaluation, optimization, and validation of molecular or serological assays, for screening and confirmatory identification of fungi, bacteria, viruses, or other plant pathogens. The incumbent will maintain the culture, and document morphological (microscopy) and molecular (sequencing) characters of Oomycetes, fungi, bacteria, viruses, or other plant pathogens. The incumbent will record details and results of experiments in an official laboratory notebook; enter data into computer programs; write data summary reports and research publications drafts.
*The position is based at the APHIS PPQ S&T Plant Pathogen Confirmatory Diagnostic Laboratory (PPCDL) former Beltsville lab in Laurel, MD.*
*Other Responsibilities:*The position will track reagents inventories and budget expenditures for the project; perform all research with adherence to the CPHST Beltsville Lab Quality Management System; and develop or revise work instructions or other QM documents. Complete all required technical, EEO and work safety training.
Other duties will also include any combination of the following general laboratory maintenance tasks:
* Cleaning and maintaining glassware
* Preparing media and reagents
* Preparing agarose gels
* Restocking and maintaining supplies
* Operating and maintaining specialized equipment
* Maintaining greenhouse plants
*Minimum Education and Experience:*
* Master's degree in plant pathology, microbiology, or related field or a Bachelor's of Science degree with at least 3 years of experience supporting relevant research.
*Other Required Qualifications:*
* Documented experience in molecular biology of microorganisms; computational biology/bioinformatics; genomic or plant DNA/RNA extraction; conventional and real-time PCR and RT-PCR analysis; gel electrophoresis; Oomycetes, fungi or bacterial culturing techniques; maintaining pathogen inoculated plants in greenhouse condition.
* Knowledge of plant-pathogen biology and/or detection & diagnostics of pathogens (Oomycetes, fungi, bacteria, virus, or nematodes).
* Attention to details, knowledge of GLP and QMS, SOP instructions and excellent technical skills.
* Ability to plan and follow planned activities independently; working knowledge of Microsoft Office, good written and oral communication skills.
* US citizenship or permanent residency, or a valid work permit is required.
* Master's degree in plant pathology, microbiology or related field.
* Experience with sequencing and sequence analysis.
* AT least two (2) years of experience (including MSc study) of plant pathogen biology and/or detection, diagnostics of pathogens (fungi, bacteria, virus, or nematodes).
* Knowledge of plant pathogen biology and/or detection & diagnostics of pathogens (fungi, bacteria, virus, or nematodes).
*Required License(s) or Certification(s):*N/A
*Valid NC Driver's License required:*No
*Commercial Driver's License required:*No
*Job Open Date:*09/21/2021
*Anticipated Close Date:*Open until filled.
*Special Instructions to Applicants:*In addition to your application please submit a CV, cover letter, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Position Type:*EHRA Non-Faculty
*Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):*1.00
*Appointment:*12 Month Recurring
*Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:*Non Mandatory - Adverse Weather
*Mandatory Designation - Emergency Events:*Non Mandatory - Emergency Event
*Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:*No
*Department ID:*111801 - Entomology and Plant Pathology
*AA/EEO:*NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.