The UI Heart and Vascular Center is seeking a full-time (100%) Staff Nurse to provide direct nursing care to patients undergoing diagnostic and therapeutic adult cardiac catheterization procedures. Ensure open and effective channels of communication with patients, family/caregivers and all health care team members involved in the pre/intra/post-care of adult cardiac catheterization patients. Procedures include (but are not limited to): angioplasty, coronary stents, balloon valvuloplasty, Swan Ganz/right heart catheterization, structural heart, and pericardiocentesis.
Qualified candidates may be eligible for a minimum sign-on incentive of $10,000 based on years of experience.
- 4 - 10 hour Day shifts with Rotating day off (Monday-Friday)
- Night/Weekend/Holiday on-call assignment
Duties to include:
- Provide pre/intra/post procedure nursing care (assessment, monitoring, intervention and education) related to diagnostic and therapeutic adult cardiac catheterization procedures including (but not limited to) angioplasty, coronary stents, balloon valvuloplasty, Swan Ganz/right heart catheterization, structural heart, and pericardiocentesis.
- Transport patient to/from pre-post recovery and/or inpatient unit.
- Administer intravenous and oral medications to patients.
- Manage patients under procedural sedation.
- Operate physiologic recorder and printer to monitor electrocardiogram and hemodynamic data. Troubleshoot equipment issues and/or initiate repair.
- Operate intra-aortic balloon. Troubleshoot equipment issues and/or initiate repair.
- Operate Impella. Troubleshoot equipment issues and/or initiate repair
- Actively monitor patient during adult cardiac catheterization procedures (vitals, etc.). Participate in life-saving measures such as defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation as needed.
- Ensure adequate levels of all supplies are available in all procedural room(s). Stock as needed.
- Demonstrate competency in the following: angioplasty, coronary stents, balloon valvuloplasty, Swan Ganz/right heart cath, pericardiocentesis, intra-aortic balloon pumps, Impella, and recognition of cardiac rhythms.
- Apply nursing theory to the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of patient responses to health, illness, and procedure.
- Positively collaborate and coordinate the continuum of care within a multi-disciplinary team and across divisions/units.
- Perform patient care according to patient priority (includes interventions identified through nursing diagnoses), and departmental, divisional, and/or unit policies, procedures, and protocols to maintain safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Document/report interventions and patient/family response. Follows universal precautions.
- Precept new staff at the direction of the Procedural Nursing Manager and/or Procedural Clinical Practice Leader.
- Follow policies and procedures in accordance with regulations set forth by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Department of Nursing, UI Heart and Vascular Center, and the University of Iowa.
- Demonstrate acceptance of responsibility; pride in work performed; flexibility in acceptance of assignments while consistently maintaining professional behavior and appearance.
- May be required to train and provide cross-coverage for Electrophysiology (EP), Cardiovascular Pre/Post-Recovery Unit (CPRU) and the Procedural Minor Suites.
- Required participation in night/weekend/holiday on-call assignment (arrival at UI Hospitals & Clinics within 20-30 minutes required).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.
An Associate's Degree in Nursing, a Diploma in Nursing, a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Professional Masters of Nursing and Healthcare Practice (MNHP), MSN/Clinical Nurse Leader or a Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN, MA) is required.
- Direct nursing care experience in Telemetry Unit, ER and/or ICU within the last 6 months required.
- Demonstrated history of positive and professional interactions with patients, families, professional health care staff, and interdisciplinary team members via written, verbal and in-person communication(s).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment while functioning in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must take On-Call assignment (arrival at UI Hospitals & Clinics within 20-30 minutes required).
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) required by start date.
- Current certification in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) required by start date.
- Current license to practice nursing in Iowa is required by start date.
- 1-3 years direct nursing care experience in Critical Care (ER, ICU), Cardiovascular Care, and/or Operating Room within last 6 months.
- If Baccalaureate degree in Nursing is not yet obtained, active enrollment in a BSN program.
- Previous EPIC experience.
- Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) certification.
Application Process: In order to be considered applicants must upload a resume (cover letter preferred clearly addressing how the required and desired qualifications of this position have been met). Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Staff Nurse
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Full-time
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: UI Heart and Vascular Center HR Team
- Contact Email: email@example.com