Graduate School of Education Start Date: Sep 1, 2022
Salary: Based on Experience Graduate School Faculty Position: Instructor of Development, Teaching and Learning Department
Start date: September 1, 2022About Bank Street
Bank Street College was founded over 100 years ago in the tradition of progressive education and is committed to learner-centered education based on sound developmental principles. The master's programs integrate direct experience with children, teachers, and families; exploration and examination of theory and research; and observation and reflection. Our curriculum supports the development of intellectual curiosity grounded in a social justice orientation. Position Description
This is a full time, 10-month faculty position for an instructor of infant, child, and adolescent development, and fieldwork advisor in the Teaching and Learning Department. Candidates must have depth of experience in the field teaching and/or working clinically with children, ideally across a range of urban settings; as well as demonstrated depth of knowledge and experience with progressive pedagogies.
We are looking for someone with expertise and scholarship in child and adolescent development and developmental variation, with particular orientation to the socio-cultural dimensions of development and developmental theory. In addition to teaching courses in development, faculty in this position might teach courses in assessment, observation, or other related areas depending on expertise.
The role includes supervised fieldwork advisement in the teacher certification programs, which involves:
- Visiting advisees at their sites monthly for a ½ day and conducting meetings with site supervisor and student, as applicable
- Convening and facilitating two one-on-one meetings with each advisee monthly
- Leading and facilitating weekly conference group with all advisees
All full-time faculty must engage in service to the community through committee work and participation in program, department and divisional meetings; and mentor graduate students on their integrative master's projects.
This position is based in our Manhattan campus, but requires flexibility to teach at locations in other boroughs as well as to teach and advise online.
Bank Street College is not a tenure granting institution, nor does it have traditional professorial ranks. The position is eligible for a renewable 3-year contract pending a review period.Qualifications:
- Doctorate in child development, education, psychology, or related field preferred
- Experience with teaching and scholarship in higher education
- Teacher certification preferred
- Five or more years of work experience with children preferred
- Candidates should have an orientation to examining practice and theory through multiple and intersecting lenses-e.g. critical race theory, translanguaging, or disabilities studies.
Filling position is dependent on enrollment
Notice to Applicant: COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
We appreciate your interest in employment at Bank Street College of Education. We would like to note that the College has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
For additional information regarding our policy on the COVID-19 vaccination, click here.
The Chronicle of Higher Education. Keywords: Instructor, Location: New York, NY - 10025