Job DescriptionFORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for the position of Instructor of History for the College of Arts and Science
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area. JOB SUMMARY:
This position will be responsible for teaching World History Freshmen Survey courses and upper-division history courses in some non-Western field (African, Caribbean, Latin American, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Asian). Develops and designs curriculum plans to foster student learning, stimulate class discussions, and ensures student engagement. Provides tutoring and academic counseling to students, maintains class-related records, and assesses student coursework. Collaborates and supports colleagues regarding research interests and co-curricular activities. DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaches typical load of 12 semester-hours of undergraduate courses each semester in the area of history.
- Develops and designs curriculum plans to foster student learning, stimulate class discussions, and ensures student engagement.
- Provides advisement, tutoring, and academic counseling to students as needed.
- Maintains class-related records and assesses student coursework.
- Collaborates and supports colleagues regarding research interests and co-curricular activities.
- Participates in departmental activities and campus life (e.g., Open House, B-P-R-B Colloquium, Georgia History Day, etc.).
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Requires a Ph.D. or terminal degree in History. Individuals with the status "all but dissertation" (ABD) will be considered. However, the terminal degree must be earned within 12 months from the beginning date of employment.
- Individuals with a non-Western specializations are preferred (African, Caribbean, Latin American, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Asian)
- Considerable teaching experience at undergraduate level in traditional classroom settings and online.
- Proven record of publications in refereed journals and other scholarly sources.
- Ability to obtain and manage grants from external sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively, participate in departmental and university activities, and mentor students.
- Earned Ph.D. from accredited and reputable institution awarded within 12 months from the beginning date of employment.
- Three or more years of experience.
- Interactively engaging students to develop their enhanced critical thinking skills.
- Communication at all levels and student mentoring.
This position is opened until filled. The finalists will be required to submit to background investigation consistent with the policy of the University System of Georgia. Additional information about FVSU is available at http://www.fvsu.edu/
For full consideration, all required documents must be submitted. The reviewing and interviewing of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The application packet must include the following:
- A letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts;
- At least five references with full contact information including emails. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicants);
- Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact FVSU's Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (478)825-6301.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form Job Posted by ApplicantPro