The Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (MLSC) is a quasi-governmental investment agency that supports life sciences innovation, education, research & development, and commercialization in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our mission is to ensure that the life sciences in Massachusetts remains the most dynamic, verdant ecosystem of its kind in the world. These investments create jobs and support advances that improve health and well-being. Through our investments, programs, collaboration and partnerships, the MLSC is committed to creating jobs and economic impact, and supporting scientific advances that will improved the health and well-being of patients across the world.
The Vice President, Industry Strategy & Investments for the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (the "Center") will strategize, plan, direct and implement the Center's programs, objectives, partnerships and initiatives that target private industry in the life sciences sectors. They will also act as the Center's primary liaison with industry stakeholders, including private or nonprofit sector organizations that support the needs of the Commonwealth's life sciences ecosystem. The Vice President, Industry Strategy & investments will represent the Center externally on industry issues, and will recommend to the President & CEO key trends, needs and opportunities for working with industry that will help Massachusetts maintain its global leadership in the life sciences. The Vice President, Industry Strategy & Investments reports directly to the President & CEO and serves as a member of the Center's Executive Management Team.RequirementsFUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the Center's primary liaison with industry stakeholders, including life sciences entrepreneurs, companies, financiers, industry trade groups, and other private & nonprofit organizations that promote, represent, invest in, or otherwise work to ensure the strength, vitality and growth of life sciences companies in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Strategize, develop, implement, oversee and maintain all programs, projects and assignments targeting industry stakeholders, as may be approved by the President & CEO and the Center's Board of Directors.
- Working with the President & CEO, establish industry engagement, collaborations, and cofounding opportunities that map to and leverage the Center's core priorities for supporting the Massachusetts life sciences ecosystem.
- Provide oversight and coordination of the peer reviews of applicants to the Center's industry programs.
- Promote industry stakeholders' awareness of, interest in, and application to the Center's strategic initiatives relative to industry programming. This includes managing and tracking the flow of applications to the Center's competitive solicitations and preparing quarterly reports on goal achievement ("deal closings").
- Coordinate with Executive Management Team regarding the administration of the Center's policies and procedures around industry programs.
- Manage and track all industry programs against goals for progress reporting at intervals agreed upon with the President & CEO.
- Develop measureable operational goals and performance metrics for the Center's industry programs together with the Executive Management Team, and conduct analyses to support funding decisions in industry environments.
- Work closely with all Executive Management Team members to maximize the efficiency and success of the Center's industry programs and funding initiatives.
- Assist in preparing relevant communications and collateral for industry stakeholders in collaboration with the Vice President, of Marketing/Communications and Community Relations. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of industry-targeted communications.
- Brief the President & CEO and members of the Executive Management Team on industry trends, updates on portfolio companies, and progress of programs toward established goals.
- Oversee the business development (BD) strategy and operations, including but not limited to lead list generation, outreach communications, inbound BD interests, and working collaboratively with other state partners.
- Serve as the Life Sciences sector expert for BD opportunities in partnership with Team MA. Advise on how industry trends impact BD efforts.
- Establish oneself as a leader and thought leader in the ways state government can support industry elements of a healthy life sciences ecosystem.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the President & CEO.
The Vice President, Industry Strategy & Investments will supervise a small team to create, implement, manage and assess Industry Programs. Prior supervisory experience and superior communication and presentation skills are required.FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
Prepare and manage the Industry Team budget; work with the CFO and Executive Team on the funding agreements for all awards; and participate in the Center's annual reports as a member of the Center's Executive Management Team.EXTENT OF PUBLIC CONTACT
This position has extensive contacts with internal and external constituents ,
including board members, business groups and associations, the legislature, local and state officials, economic and community development organizations and external counsel.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
No unusual physical demands.WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
Work is generally conducted in a normal office environment. Will be required to attend occasional relevant meetings and conferences, which may take place during the evening and/or out of state, and would require travel and brief stays away from home. No unusual working conditions.