Director of Nursing Education and Professional Practice
Director of Nursing Education and Professional PracticePosition Summary
At Stony Brook Medicine the Director of Nursing Education and Professional Practice leads and guides nursing staff and leadership in the development of evidence-based practice and ensures nursing clinical competency through oversight of education and training for nursing staff. The successful candidate is responsible for stimulating, initiating and supporting nursing to work at top of license to ensure nurses at every level feel recognized, inspired, engaged and encouraged to reach their fullest potential. This successful leader establishes and implements strategies and programs to advance the professional development of our staff to enhance the delivery of clinical nursing care through scientific inquiry. The Director of Nursing Education and Professional Practice will provide nursing leadership, positive promotion and execution of the acute care clinical services with linkages to community resources. The Nursing Director will work collaboratively with the Associate Directors of Nursing and the Stony Brook School of Nursing in the development, communication and successful execution of the established clinical objectives.Duties of a Director of Nursing Education and Professional Practice may include the following but are not limited to:
- Develops, implements and evaluates the delivery of education and training to Stony Brook professional nursing staff
- Evaluates fiscal resources in order to optimize the provision of educational resources in an efficient and effective manner in the clinical education service line
- Directs initial orientation and ongoing educational programs with an integrated approach for all clinical staff to include regulatory changes, performance improvement plans, best practices and hospital initiatives
- Promotes the development of clinical skills to meet the professional needs of the staff
- Provides supervision of direct reports to ensure timely completion of assigned duties, performance expectations and evaluations
- Utilizes all methods of teaching available: classroom, internet, webinars, videos, text messaging clinical learning management platforms to accomplish education objectives
- Facilitates, monitors and mentors staff in professional research projects, including presentations and publications
- Collaborates with Human Resources and Corporate Education
- Responsible for Regulatory requirements that pertain to this department including but not limited to: Joint Commission, DOH, Nurse Residency Program
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited school in nursing
- Master's degree in nursing or a nursing related field
- Doctoral prepared
- Licensed or eligible for licensure in NYS as a Registered Nurse
- Minimum five years progressive leadership experience with a focus on education and/or professional development areas
- Good interpersonal and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Understanding of evidence-based practice, simulation, research, and professional development
Special Notes: Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.Posting Overview:
- Experience in tertiary care
- Holds national certification in specialty
- Leadership role in nursing shared governance
- Assisted with Magnet preparation/document submission
- Experience with research and IRB approval process
This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as essential. This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
- Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
- Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
- The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at .
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Job Number: 2103159Official Job Title: TH Assistant Director of NursingJob Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)Primary Location: US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area: Clinical EducationSchedule: Full-time Shift :Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:00am-5:30pm Pass Days: Sat, SunPosting Start Date: Aug 20, 2021Posting End Date: Nov 18, 2021, 8:59:00 PMSalary:Commensurate with experienceTo apply, visit https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2103159&tz=GMT-07%3A00&tzname=America%2FLos_Angeles