*The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Center for International Health, Education (CIHEB) and Biosecurity*, headquartered at the University of Maryland School of Medicine Institute of Human Virology (IHV) is currently comprised of a global team of more than 500 personnel in Baltimore and across sub-Saharan Africa.
The UMB CIHEB is currently recruiting for a *Research Manager-Laboratory*. The Research Manager-Laboratory will be responsible for all aspects of overseeing and managing the Laboratory portion of the Population Based Household HIV surveys (PHIA) conducted in sub-Saharan Africa including supply chain, QA/QC and interface with CDC laboratory branch. This position also provides supervisory direction to country-based biorepository and QA/QC for the PEPFAR HIV clinical laboratory program. *Benefits Information:*
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. *In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. * *Key Functions:*
* Support the development of a PHIA laboratory and supply chain strategy that is aligned with the overall PHIA vision and strategy and takes into consideration the conditions that are unique to each country.
* Support the commodities planning process and participate in forecast development and reviews.
* Lead the development of relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and ensure that they are followed and periodically reviewed.
* Plans and coordinates daily activities of the lHVN H3 Africa Biorepository (1-HAB) meeting regularly with the PI.
* Trains, schedules, and supervise biorepository staff and IHVN QA/QC unit.
* Plans data management and reports for the Pl and quality and oversees the preparation of proficiency reports for IHVN supported sites.
* Creates manuscripts, presentations, and reports.
* Managing freezerworks inventory for CIHEB.
* Support the budgeting process and grant writing.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
*Education:* Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry or field of study related to the research of the laboratory. Masters preferred.
*Experience: *Six (6) years of experience working in a research laboratory setting that include four (4) years in the relevant research. specialization. Freezerworks experience preferred.
*Supervisory Experience:* Two (2) years of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring the work of others.
*Other: *May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
May include working in biohazardous/select agents and/or in Biosafety Level-3 Laboratories (ABSL-3) which require successful completion of Department of Justice security clearance for work with Select Agents and Toxins, as required by Federal regulation. *Knowledge and Skills:*
* Strong analytical and organizational skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
*Hiring Range:* Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [HRJobs@umaryland.edu](mailto:HRJobs@umaryland.edu). If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [HRDiversity@umaryland.edu](mailto:HRDiversity@umaryland.edu). Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
*Job: *Reg or CII Exempt Staff
*Shift: *Day Job
*Organization: *School of Medicine - Institute of Human Virology
*Job Posting: *Aug 6, 2021
*Unposting Date: *Ongoing