At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Part Time Supplemental Math Instructor for the Ware Academic Success Center who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who's primary duties are to instruct students in the basic skill areas of reading, writing, and math; assess students' skill levels through standardized tests and other instruments in order to develop individualized plans of study; manage student's learning through individualized and small group instructions; must be able to work with varying skill levels at the same time. Must be able to demonstrate skills in basic reading, basic writing, and basic math with an emphasis in math. General Qualification Requirements:
Degrees, certification, and experience must be applicable to the position and must meet any accreditation requirements applicable to the program or institution. Only degrees earned from a fully accredited college or university (SACS or regional equivalent) are accepted.Education:
Bachelors degree in education or a related field with at least 18 hours in math required.
Masters degree in education or a related field with at least 18 hours in math preferred. Experience and Training:
Experience in teaching math in a secondary setting required. Must have experience in developing innovative curriculum and utilizing educational technology. Experience teaching developmental students in a community college preferred. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must understand and apply learner-centered and high impact instructional methods.
- Must have skills in computer operation, multimedia classroom instructional software, and be willing to learn new computer software.
- Must be able to work with nontraditional students and students with disabilities.
- Ability to work under stress, work independently and as a team member, and deal with students in a professional manner.
- Must be able to work in a flexible, non-structured learning environment.
- Must have good rapport with students; must be able to assess students goals and develop a plan for goal attainment.
- Use a variety of instructional methods, materials, and techniques to address all learning styles and cultural differences.
- Instruct students on topics needed to earn HSE, transition into college, support academic students in certificate programs and obtain employment to earn a living wage.
- Can multi-task; use different teaching strategies; can simplify complex information.
- Create learner-centered lessons with high engagement activities and effective retention practices.
- Possess strong organizational skills; can work under stress, work independently and as a team member, and deal with people in a professional manner.
- Must be able to assure confidentiality of secure documents and sensitive records.
- Regularly Collaborate with other instructors and professionals in the development of individual students needs and progress.
- Responsibilities include advising students, tracking and documenting student outcomes, attending professional development activities.
- Always display a positive attitude when interacting with students, teaching assistants, administrators, staff and the public.
- Attend staff meetings and in-service training as required or needed in order to maintain and improve professional development.
- Must be knowledgeable of Microsoft Office products and virtual platforms to support student learning.
- Duties may include day/evening and weekend instruction.
- Perform additional duties or job functions required and deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
- As an Amarillo College employee seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers, and the community by embracing these values; Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation and Yes!
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time, and be able to move materials weighing up to 25 pounds.Working Environment:
This job may operate in a classroom, online, or tech supported setting. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/video-recorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets and fax machines. Classroom location assignment may vary.Salary:
Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.Travel Expectations:
Duties may include on/ off campus, day/evening and weekend instruction.Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.