*American Indian/American Studies Instructor (One-Year Temporary) Fresno City College
State Center Community College District
*Closing Date:* 6/3/2021 at 11:55 PM
*Campus Location:* Fresno City College
*Start Date:* 05/05/2021
At Fresno City College we value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations. We prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits a diverse student population brings to a community college. The successful faculty member will be an equity-minded individual committed to student success by collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners who are also dedicated to closing equity gaps.
Fresno City College seeks faculty members who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. Divisions strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. Fresno City College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve. Faculty members should be open and willing to participate in culturally relevant professional development that will help them prepare for the population of students who attend Fresno City College.
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of the 2019-2020 academic year, we currently enroll over 25,000 students in which 59% identify as Latinx, 12% as Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% as Black/African American, 19% as White, 1% as American Indian/Alaska Native, and 4% as multiracial. Fresno City College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
The instructor will be required to complete the Distance Education Certification in order to teach courses virtually. The certification can be obtained through Fresno City College and must be completed within the first semester.
Providing instruction in American Studies/American Indian Studies on the Fresno City College campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be responsible for:
* Teaching a variety of courses in American Studies/American Indian Studies as assigned;
* Coordinating and collaborating with other Discipline faculty and the Cultural & Women's Studies Department;
* Maintaining currency in American Studies/American Indian Studies;
* Serving as faculty advisor for student groups such as Native American Inter-Tribal Student Association (NAISA);
* Teaching classes for and working with the RAIN learning community;
* Working with campus and community organizations to complement and enhance the American Studies/American Indian Studies Program;
* Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
* Participating in program development and expansion of American Studies/American Indian Studies courses, including connections with industry and Career and Guided Pathways;
* Participating curriculum development and review, including program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
* Identifying and recommending potential adjunct faculty to teach classes;
* Assisting in evaluating adjunct instructors;
* Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
* Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom; *AND*
* Master's in American Studies or Master's in American Indian Studies;
* Master's in American Studies/Ethnicity, Latino Studies, La Raza Studies, Central American Studies, Latin American Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, Race and Ethnic Relations, Asian-American Studies, or African-American Studies;
* Master's in the interdisciplinary area;
* Master's in one of the disciplines included in the interdisciplinary area and upper division or graduate course work in at least one other constituent discipline;
* A valid California Community College Credential;
* The equivalent education and/or experience *(requires an equivalency).*
(*NOTE:* If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match *EXACTLY* as stated above, you *MUST* petition for equivalency. The Interdisciplinary Studies discipline is provided to allow for those cases where it is locally determined that a course must be taught by someone with qualifications that exceed a single discipline. The constituent disciplines can include any disciplines found in the Master's List)
* Experience and skill incorporating elements of diversity, equity, and inclusion into all areas of responsibility;
* Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
* Willingness to examine and remediate one's instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
* Experience working with a diverse student population;
* Extent and breadth of previous teaching experience at the post-secondary level in American Studies and American Indian Studies, including large group instruction and online teaching, if any;
* Breadth of teaching experience in American Studies/American Indian Studies;
* Extent of coursework in both subject areas;
* Experience teaching at the post-secondary level;
* Extent of involvement with American Indian groups;
* Extent of related campus/community involvement;
* Experience with educational technology (computer, interactive video, smart podia, etc.);
* Certificate to teach in an on-line or hybrid environment;
* Experience or willingness to develop new curriculum and build a program;
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
* Related work and professional experience;
* Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
* Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
*Conditions of Employment:*
177 duty days per year.
*Salary and Benefits:*
Starting salary is $57,750 - $86,942 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,160 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher's Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness *and* to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
*From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement*, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the "recommended candidates". These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. [SCCCD EEO Plan](https://www.scccd.edu/_uploaded-files/documents/about/district_equal_employment_opportunity_plan.pdf)
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1171 Fulton St, Fresno, California, 93721, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. *Please refer to Position No. FSOCL-INS-SAI (Slot #2163) *
*Submission of application and related materials is the applicant's responsibility and must be submitted through the district's online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.*
This is a full-time, one year temporary position. The District may fill more than one position from this pool.
State Center Community College District (SCCCD) provides students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences - emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at SCCCD, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners.
*FRESNO CITY COLLEGE
About the College*
As the very first community college in California, Fresno City College has a proud history of leadership in education and preparing generations of students for their future. Fresno City College is nestled near the lively Tower District and minutes from downtown Fresno, brick buildings and towering trees tell the long story of this historic institution. It is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity and inclusion among its faculty, classified professionals, and students. The college takes responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all students.
As California's first community college, Fresno City College provides quality, innovative educational programs and support services directed toward the enhancement of student success, lifelong learning and the economic, social, and cultural development of our students and region.
As educational leaders in the community, Fresno City College faculty, classified professionals, and students will engage in a partnership to transform lives through education.
Growth - We are committed to sharing and exploring new ideas through collaboration, respect for diversity, promoting equity, and professional development.
Leadership - We are leaders in our community, dedicated to behaving ethically, committed to open communication, and good stewards of our resources.
Success - We champion excellence, quality, celebrating individual differences, and providing a positive and supportive environment for all.
[FCC Institutional Research Site](http://www.fresnocitycollege.edu/faculty-and-staff/institutional-research-and-effectiveness/institutional-research/index.html)
*To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link:* [www.scccd.edu](https://apptrkr.com/2248789)
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
[Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency](https://www.jobelephant.com/)