The University of Iowa Stead Family Department of Pediatrics, Division of Critical Care is seeking a research associate who will provide support by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operation duties associated with the laboratory research. This position requires scientific and research expertise.
The successful candidate will collect and track data, perform data entry, carry out data analysis for reports, and maintain records of methods used and results obtained. He or she will also prepare materials for abstracts/reports/grant applications & manuscripts.
This is a specified term position.
About the Stead Family Department of Pediatrics and UI Stead Family Children's Hospital
The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics is a national leader in pediatric medicine. The Department's mission is to provide outstanding care to the children of Iowa and beyond by being a leader in state-of-the-art clinical care to children, performing cutting-edge research to find new treatments and cures for childhood illnesses, and educating the next generation of pediatric health care providers. The Department comprises the medical and research staff of UI Stead Family Children's Hospital. UI Stead Family Children's Hospital is one of the nation's top-ranked pediatric care and research institutions, and Iowa's only comprehensive children's hospital.
The Division of Critical Care at the University of Iowa Stead Family Department of Pediatrics is committed to providing excellent clinical care, education of learners at all levels, and the advancement of knowledge through pursuit of biomedical research. Our critical care faculty, in collaboration with the pediatric critical care nurse practitioners and our specialized bedside nursing staff, are focused on the delivery of excellent clinical care, with patient satisfaction scores consistently greater than the ninetieth percentile. The Division of Critical Care is highly dedicated to educating the next generation of academic pediatric intensivists.
Position responsibilities include the following:
- Perform research activities in Pediatrics according to lab protocols.
- Research relevant literature relating to current experiments as requested.
- As skills develop, critically review literature for the purposes of furthering the research and developing new hypotheses in conjunction with the PI.
- Perform basic and complex procedures and techniques as outlined in research protocol, assure fidelity to protocols, may propose modifications to protocols as skills develop in relation to the study of the pathogenesis of acquired heart defects
- Plan daily activities and track/record progress of research project
- Record and consolidate data.
- Present results/findings at lab meetings; may present at local and national meetings.
- Must perform statistical analysis of data and prepare charts/graphs.
- As skills develop, may contribute to the technical writing of papers, manuscripts, and published materials.
- Perform a variety of routine tasks related to research environment including routine housekeeping of facilities.
- Responsible for safety programs by following guidelines and maintaining required documentation.
- Assist with management of equipment, supplies and materials, and facilities.
- Monitor environmental risks and quality control.
- May initiate purchasing requests and assist in reconciling statements.
- Provide training as needed on basic lab techniques and protocols to students/ residents rotating in lab.
Percent of Time: 100%
Pay Grade: 4A
Pay Structure A: Professional and Scientific Pay Structure A | University Human Resources - The University of Iowa (uiowa.edu)
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- A Bachelor's degree in a natural or health science field or discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of research experience in biology or a similar discipline.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with assays requiring accurate pipetting of small volumes.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with CRISPR/Cas 9 techniques including designing primers, gRNAs, HRMA, PAGE gel, sequencing
- Demonstrated experience promoting a diverse workforce/academic environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Highly Desired Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience creating probes and performing in situ hybridization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of zebrafish and mouse cardiac development.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with small animal handling in zebrafish models and mouse models.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with microscopy, including bright field, fluorescence, and confocal microscopy.
- Demonstrated use of PRISM and familiarity with basic statistics including t-tests, ANOVA.
- Demonstrated EXCEL experience including maintaining databases, analyzing data, and making figures/graphs including PDFs.
- Demonstrated use of adobe illustrator.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume & cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact Pediatrics Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal background check.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Research Associate
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: email@example.com
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org