Working under moderate supervision, perform research tasks to support the operations of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine including performing research work in medical and related technical areas. The research assistant will collect, verify, record, and compile data and information related to the ongoing research carried out in the clinic as well as provide administrative support for clinical research studies designed to evaluate drugs/devices/behavioral interventions. This is a part-time position.
* Maintain clear and organized documentation of research activities, including data collection of in-clinic experiments, interventions, and surveys. Print, copy, scan, research documents. (31%)
* Identify potential study patients using databases. Assist with recruitment and retention of study patients through phone calls, mailings, etc. (30%)
* Perform data entry of collected research data. (17%)
* Configure, calibrate, and operate laboratory/clinical testing instruments and perform maintenance including cleaning equipment and ensuring working order; dispose of biohazardous waste. (6%)
* Perform basic laboratory procedures such as centrifugation, cell counting, and biohazardous shipping preparation. (6%)
* May provide clerical assistance to research staff including assisting with regulatory auditing and quality control. (2.5%)
* Pick up and deliver mail, other correspondence, and study drugs/devices/samples as needed. (1.5%)
* Order laboratory supplies and maintain accurate inventory of expendable items (1%)
* Present work at weekly research team meetings. (
* Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
Department: Daily contact with research staff to maintain workflow.
University: Little contact with university staff.
External: Regular contact with patients for study recruitment to exchange information.
Students: May have contact with student employees to maintain workflow.
This position has no direct supervision of staff employees.
Bachelor's degree with related coursework and 0 to 1 year of experience or Associate's degree in an approved biotechnology program and 0 to 2 years of experience. Prior training or experience in a research or clinical setting is preferred. RN or RT license is helpful.
* Professional and effective verbal and communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with primarily English-speaking patients. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
* Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work and communicate with various individuals, including patients for recruitment purposes.
* Must be highly organized; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, efficiency and reliability. Negligible/minimum error rate in carrying out study procedures and data entry is required.
* Ability to work collaboratively with clinicians, nurses, and other research team members. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and patients face-to-face.
* Must have strong computer skills. Proficiency with MS Office suite, especially Excel and Word. Ability and willingness to learn new computer programs as needed.
* Must demonstrate effective time management skills and ability to meet consistent attendance.
* Must be able and willing to learn new techniques, procedures, and processes as part of clinical research.
* Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Clinical setting in the University Hospitals main campus and Case Western Biomedical Research Building. The employee may be exposed to hazards and blood-borne pathogens. Appropriate protective equipment such as gloves and mask will need to be worn. The employee may be required to transport clinical samples, study drugs, or devices. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.