*Internal Recruitment :*No
*Working Title:*Research Scientist
*Anticipated Hiring Range:*Commensurate with Experience
*Work Schedule:*Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Job Location:*Asheville, NC
*Department :*NC Institute of Climate Studies
*About the Department:*The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is a UNC inter-institutional research institute promoting the discovery of new knowledge about global, regional, and local climate variability and its impacts; and providing information that is critical for determining trends and validating climate forecasts at all these spatial scales. NCICS' principal activity is the operation of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies in North Carolina (CISESS NC). CISESS' primary objective is to document the natural atmosphere-ocean-land-biosphere components of the Earth system and how they interact with human activities as a coupled system through collaborative and transformative research activities and to transition that research into operational applications that produce societal benefits.
*Essential Job Duties:*The NC Institute for Climate Studies is in need of a Research Scientist to provide expertise in applied mathematics and spatial statistics, and support instrument, algorithm, and product testing and evaluation activities to help ensure quality climate data records and climate information products consistent with the scientific goals and scientific data quality requirements of NOAA stakeholders.
*The Research Scientist will:*
* Independently lead, develop, design, support, and/or execute moderately complex research activities for a single or multiple research project(s).
* Provide scientific data analytics expertise to develop high quality large-scale research datasets through the creation/modification/adaptation of real-time application software for utilization in analysis/calibration of environmental data including inputs/analysis/outputs and quality control assessment of end products.
* Develop innovative approaches for processing and analysis of observations and model datasets.
* Lead and participate in formulating research approaches, suggesting options for quality improvement and solutions.
* Operationally and in a research framework, develop strategies, software, data analysis systems and tools, reporting materials, etc that support characterization of scientific datasets.
* Ensure scientific integrity of data sets and other end products and their compliance with federal directives regarding evidence-based policy-making.
* Lead efforts in one or more of the major Institute portfolio areas (e.g., research to operations, climate assessments, observing systems, data stewardship, outreach and engagement, climate and human health, AI & ML, and monitoring).
* Mentor undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and institute staff.
* Develop innovative approaches to the quantification of uncertainty over in situ and satellite derived observation datasets.
* Develop new approaches for spatial analyses of environmental datasets.
* Develop, refine, and implement algorithms for daily, global, multi-sensor Climate Data Records (CDR).
* Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for satellite observation of environmental processes and innovative statistical approaches to data analysis.
*This position is located in Asheville, NC.**Other Responsibilities:*
* Work cooperatively with Institute staff, partners, team members, and/or external stakeholders in support of task and project objectives.
* Make timely presentations at appropriate scientific venues as requested or needed.
* Fully participate in unit (NCICS, NCEI, etc.) activities and meetings.
* Write and submit peer-reviewed papers for publication in scientific journals.
* Participate in the peer-review process as reviewer, panel member, etc.
* Write and submit grant proposals for extramural funding.
* Other related duties as assigned.
*Minimum Education and Experience:*
* PhD in relevant Earth science (e.g., atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, etc.), mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer sciences, physics, or relevant related field OR a master's degree with seven or more years of relevant experience.
* Five or more years experience in scientific programming, analysis and/or relevant research working with satellite data or other remotely sensed and in situ data.
* Demonstrated computer programming proficiency utilizing modern programming and analysis languages (e.g., Python, R, Matlab, Fortran, IDL, etc).
* Five or more peer-reviewed publications in climate, environment, or a related science.
*Other Required Qualifications:*
* Demonstrated experience in performing self-directed scientific data analysis.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Solid interpersonal skills.
* Sensitivity to diverse constituencies.
* Make positive team contributions.
* Ability to initiate and lead independent research efforts.
* Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work independently and creatively.
* Demonstrated success in obtaining competitive grants, mentoring students and research staff, and working in an interdisciplinary environment.
* PhD in a relevant Earth science (e.g., atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, etc.), mathematics, engineering, computer sciences, or related field.
* Familiarity with satellite remote sensing observations, current Reference Environmental Data Records (REDR), and products and/or instruments generating relevant REDRs including those from polar and geosynchronous platforms.
* Demonstrated proficiency in scientific algorithm development and processing.
* Experience processing and analyzing remote sensing data and/or developing diagnostics and comparison projects of datasets.
* Peer-reviewed publication(s) in climate, environment, or a related science area.
*Required License(s) or Certification(s):*N/A
*Valid NC Driver's License required:*No
*Commercial Driver's License required:*No
*Job Open Date:*10/01/2021
*Anticipated Close Date:*Open until filled.
*Special Instructions to Applicants:*In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
Please ensure that all supplemental questions are fully answered.
*Position Type:*EHRA Non-Faculty
*Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):*1.00
*Appointment:*12 Month Recurring
*Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:*Non Mandatory - Adverse Weather
*Mandatory Designation - Emergency Events:*Non Mandatory - Emergency Event
*Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:*No
*Department ID:*063001 - NC Inst of Climate Studies
*AA/EEO:*NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.