Working under moderate supervision, the Research Assistant 1 will perform research work in medial and related technical areas using lab skills, prepare samples for mass spectrometry analysis, operate mass spectrometers, and perform simple data analysis. The research assistant will also perform daily calibration of laboratory equipment.
* Prepare samples for mass spectrometry analysis which involves extraction, isolation and chemical derivatization of biomolecules from a range of materials. (30%)
* Conduct analysis of samples by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) or gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS). (20%)
* Compile and record data obtained from work performed. (11%)
* Maintain records in clear and organized notebooks, documenting procedures used and mass spectrometry data generated. (11%)
* Maintain test equipment. Perform daily calibration of laboratory instruments; ensure instruments are kept in working order. (11%)
* Order reagents and other laboratory supplies. Maintain chemical/biological inventory in compliance with Environmental Health and Safety. Dispose of laboratory chemicals. (11%)
* May assist with training of new personnel in the laboratory. (3%)
* Perform other duties as assigned (3%)
Department: Daily contact with supervisor to discuss research and maintain workflow.
University: Occasional contact with other departments to share information.
External: Occasional contact with instrument, chemical, or laboratory supply vendors to exchange information.
Students: Occasional contact with student employees to exchange information.
This position has no direct supervision of staff employees.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in chemistry, biochemistry or related field and 0 to 1 year of experience or Associate's degree in an approved biotechnology program and 0 to 2 years of experience required.
* Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the field of chemistry.
* Ability to rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
* Must be able and willing to learn new techniques, procedures, and computational tools.
* Strong organization skills and good habit of maintaining a clean lab working environment; demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, time management skills, and proven ability to successfully follow-through on assigned projects.
* Ability to operate laboratory equipment.
* Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
General laboratory environment. May have exposure to organic solvents and biohazards. May be required to use personal protective equipment, including standard lab coat, gloves and safety glasses when appropriate.