Job DescriptionAbout Us
The Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy (PICI) is radically changing the way cancer research is done. Founded in 2016 through a $250 million gift from Silicon Valley entrepreneur and philanthropist Sean Parker, the San Francisco-based nonprofit is an unprecedented collaboration between the country's leading immunotherapy researchers and cancer centers, including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Stanford Medicine, the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of California, San Francisco, the University of Pennsylvania and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. The institute also supports top researchers at other institutions, including City of Hope, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Institute for Systems Biology and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
By forging alliances with academic, industry and nonprofit partners, PICI makes big bets on bold research to fulfill its mission: to accelerate the development of breakthrough immune therapies to turn all cancers into curable diseases.
Help us create a world that doesn't fear cancer. Join us. www.parkerici.orgOverview of the Role
The Senior Scientific Program Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of programmatic scientific programs and consortia ensuring goals are met. Programs are focused on cancer immunotherapy and span basic research, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, drug development and early clinical and translational medicine. The Senior Scientific Program Manager utilizes their scientific training and experience ensuring program goals are met.
The Senior Scientific Program Manager will be responsible for the management of a number of research and development programs. The program teams are focused on collaboration and consist of internal and external subject matter experts at varied levels of seniority. Responsibilities include key familiarity with the background, rationale and goals of the projects, relationship building, management and ensuring all projects are appropriately scoped and resourced and milestones are met. The Program Manager must have excellent organizational skills to be adept at working across multiple projects, and thrive in a dynamic fast paced environment. Reporting Structure and Team
The Senior Scientific Program Manager reports to the Senior Director, Research and is a key member of the Research team.
FLSA Status: Exempt Essential Job Functions Plan the program
Successful delivery of the program
- Research the scientific background and rationale of a program. Remain up to date with relevant fields as critical to the project including advances in technologies, basic and clinical data, and the commercial landscape.
- Define the scope of the program in collaboration with subject matter experts and senior management.
- Create a work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Work closely with internal functions to ensure the appropriate resourcing of the program; contracts, finance, staffing and relevant core functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Build relationships with external partners
- Plan and lead team and steering committee meetings, agendas and be responsible for tracking action items of the program.
- Keep track of and report on milestones, meeting schedules and implement critical path program team activities as needed.
- Monitor and obtain approval for all budgeted project expenditures.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to ensure that critical program objectives are met.
- Represent and present the program goals and progress at internal and external meetings to all levels of seniority.
- PhD or MS in a relevant biological science, with experience in cancer, immunology, solid tumors
- Scientific project management skills are required, pharma / biotech project management a plus
- A minimum of 4 years research and development experience: preclinical, drug development, clinical, translational. Business development experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art technology used in immunotherapy
- Demonstrated relationship management with many stakeholders (funders, biotech, pharma, PICI, academics)
- Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Identifies, develops and maintains program documents in an electronic fashion.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Successful problem solving abilities.
- Time management and organizational agility.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Self-motivated, and an ability to function autonomously while retaining the view of the entire organization.
- Effective management for competing priorities and excellent organization skills.
- Proficiency in word processing, simple accounting, database management, spreadsheets, etc.