Finance Manager, Legal Operations
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions. Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Being here matters. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives.
The Gilead Legal Department is seeking a Legal Finance Manager reporting to the Senior Director of Legal Operations. Responsible for collaborating with colleagues at various levels within the Legal department, this position will manage the Legal function's outside counsel and spend management function. Primary day-to-day responsibilities include managing the e-Billing, matter management, and overall support Legal spend activities. This position is currently based in Foster City, CA (non-remote).Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and support the e-Billing team who's scope of responsibility includes:
- Coordinate law firm and vendor onboarding with AP and e-billing vendor teams (includes both domestic and international law firms, and other service providers)
- Manage process for transmitting approved invoice payment requests to AP
- Manage the process to reverse feed invoice payment information back to e-Billing
- Serve as the primary point of contact for law firms with billing inquiries
- Manage new timekeeper review and approval
- Interact independently with attorneys, administrative assistants, outside counsel and vendors to answer questions concerning invoicing/status, retention guidelines and to resolve any invoice issues
- Troubleshoot invoice submission and data dependency issues (e.g. matter not setup, firm not assigned to matter, etc.)
- Perform first-line review of invoices for compliance with billing guidelines; conduct periodic invoice audits
- Serve as the point of contact for the creation of new billable matters, requested by both internal and external parties
- Complete Allocation coding of matters and invoices to ensure proper payment routing to AP
- Generate invoice aging report on a monthly basis and follow up with department members regarding past due unapproved invoices
- Partner with Accounts Payable department to resolve payment issues
- Partner with legal leadership, matter owners, and finance business partner to develop and manage annual budgets
- Drive collection of matter level budget, forecast and accrual data (both from internal legal team as well as law firms/vendors) in support of monthly forecasting exercise with Finance
- Own and manage budget and spend reporting for the legal department
- Manage annual Vendor Rate Proposal Review Program
- Provide creative thinking to help identify opportunities for increasing value and reducing outside legal spend, while maintaining excellent legal representation and optimizing engagement practices with our law firms
- Complete ad-hoc and special projects as requested/required by the Head of Operations and the Legal Leadership Team
- Become an expert in Gilead's current e-Billing system and train/assist department members on the system and related processes.
- Maintain and update e-Billing reference guides and educational tools that support the e-Billing solution
- Proactively seek ways to improve the current process to maximize productivity, workflow and maximize efficiency in all aspects of the e-Billing function
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- 7+ years of legal e-billing experience required, including at least 5 years of experience managing broader outside counsel management responsibilities and using an enterprise-wide ERP system
- The ideal candidate will have experience working in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries; or will have worked within a legal department with a large focus on intellectual property
- Deep knowledge of and demonstrable experience managing an Enterprise Legal Management system (E-Billing + Matter Management)
- Mastery of intermediate finance concepts and processes gained through education or experience
- Mastery of Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience simultaneously driving multiple projects and identifying, prioritizing, and resolving key business issues
- Attention to detail and the ability to multitask/prioritize a must
- Exceptional professionalism and client services skill
- Comfortable interacting with all levels inside the legal organization
- Proactive approach to recognizing needs, anticipating issues and solving problems
- Bachelor's degree
Gilead Core Values
- Master's degree in related field
- Experience with TeamConnect/Collaborati and Oracle and SAP
- Intellectually curious with the ability to process a great deal of information in a fast-paced environment;
- Willing to take initiative;
- Demonstrate integrity to manage sensitive and confidential information;
- Ability to present complex information in an accurate and persuasive manner to all levels of management;
- Must have strong client service orientation and demonstrated a high level of customer focus, independence, and initiative;
- Must be a team player who can easily handle shifting priorities, multitasking in a deadline-oriented environment;
- Understanding of common alternative fee arrangements (e.g. fixed fees, fee caps,
- volume discounts);
- Possess an understanding of AP principles and ensuring compliance with legal billing guidelines;
- Must be comfortable giving presentations and training sessions
- Integrity (always doing the right thing)
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith)
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility)
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.\u200b
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
'] To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Manager--Legal-Operations_R0021434
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency