Leads scientific and/or technician staff in the design and execution of high throughput and data-rich experimentation in support of the development candidate portfolio in all phases of development from the Med Design interface through commercialization with focus on scientific and technology strategy. Contributes to the overall leadership of the Chemical Technology Group, as well as operational management to ensure the smooth & efficient running of the department. Contributes to the development and implementation of CRD Technology Strategy. Leads and influences in the matrix function as well as the external environment. Scientific and Business Strategy
- Provide scientific & business leadership to ensure development projects are supported with technology solutions from the high throughput screening and high-pressure labs.
- Design and execution of laboratory experimentation, interpretation of data to drive synthetic experimental plans and ability to utilize electronic tools (electronic notebook and automation software) to gather and document information. Provide scientific and technical oversight to staff to solve challenging problems.
- Design and develop workflows using advanced automation to enhance speed and efficiency of data generation in support of development projects.
Leadership and Influence:
- Collaborate with peers to develop and drive implementation of CRD Technology Strategy to drive scientific advancement and business efficiency.
- Promote and foster innovative development of new chemical and engineering technologies that advance the speed and cost effectiveness of API process development and commercialization.
- Collaborate with CRD MT to ensure that the successful application of new technology is optimally applied to deliver the portfolio, in partnership with API project teams.
- Represent CRD to ensure good collaboration, proactive engagement and positive relationships are developed and maintained in matrix forums and outside of Pfizer Inc.
- Proactively seek to develop best working practices through establishing networks and interfaces across sites and with industrial and academic partners.
Portfolio and Project Managemen
- Utilize awareness of development portfolio priorities to assign resources & set priorities within the Chemical Technology function to ensure project deliverables.
- Partner with global CRD business functions including chemists and engineers to ensure application of available tools for the development candidate portfolio consistent with CRD workflows.
- Facilitate and provide opportunities for staff to learn and apply current and future technologies.
- Ensure maintenance of lab functions including automated equipment, glove boxes and reactor systems.
- Ensure line activities are consistent with endorsed activities and aligned with portfolio goals. Communicate broader business perspectives to manage project activities and deliverables.
- Strategic match of technical talent (skills and experience) with task; leverage broader expert group resources to help with project deliverables.
- Create an environment where Pfizer values are visible; lead by example.
- Ensure the scientific & personal development of all staff within reporting line.
- Conduct Performance Management activities for direct reports and oversee for members in the function.
- Provide critical evaluation of potential candidates for open positions.
- Staff training (orientation to new tasks, information, technical skill, SOPs/guidance, etc.)
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in accordance with all safety and housekeeping policies. Advocate for safety and visibly support all department and site safety policies
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- 12+ years of experience
- Recognized as a strong scientific leader within High Throughput Experimentation and/or Automation discipline.
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving (both business & scientific), with ability to impact and influence within the global line and outside of the department.
- Ability to lead in a fast-changing environment & communicate positive advantages of change
Additional Job Information:
- PhD and 4+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with automated lab tools, robotics and software control systems.
- Application of high throughput screening tools to pharmaceutical development.
- Leverages technical and functional expertise across own and related disciplines
- Rapid adopter of new technologies/methods of work to enhance business productivity
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Last Date to Apply is October 26, 2021
- Relocation Support Available
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development