BioMedicine Design (BMD) is seeking a highly motivated and innovative senior scientist to join a protein engineering group supporting the Biotherapeutics portfolio of Pfizer, Inc. in La Jolla, CA. Responsibilities will be driving therapeutic innovation through technology development and contributing to the pipeline, including designing and hands-on execution of molecular biology, protein expression, protein purification, and protein engineering tasks. In-depth understanding of cutting-edge protein engineering techniques and underlying biology will be key to this position. The ideal candidate will be highly proficient in the design of protein/antibody constructs, protein expression and purification, and has good understanding of biology. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Biologics discovery at the interface between discovery biology and biotherapeutics
- Desire to understand underlying biology and mechanism of targets and biologics.
- Carry out hands-on lab work to apply protein engineering principles to the generation of novel protein therapeutics
- Isolating and optimizing antibodies using Pfizer's proprietary synthetic antibody libraries.
- Generation of diverse next generation of biologics
- Provide strategic direction and innovative approaches across multiple modalities
- Work in multidisciplinary and cross-functional teams to develop next generation therapeutics and influence project teams in their decision making and advance biologics through different stages of the development
- Independently design experiments, analyze data and troubleshoot methods
- Present experimental design and results at internal meetings
- Ph.D. in Biological Science (Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Protein Biochemistry, Cell Biology) or a related field (Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Biological Engineering) is required with at least 2+ years of post-doctoral training.
- Extensive experience engineering proteins with desired properties
- Technically proficient in protein engineering tools, including construct design, molecular biology (restriction cloning, Gibson assembly), protein expression in E.coli and mammalian/insect cell systems, protein purification (affinity chromatography, SEC, ion exchange, gravity or chromatography mode) and characterization (SDS-PAGE, endotoxin, binding, in vitro activity).
- Experience with data analysis and presentation software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An innovator with track record in molecular design of biologics, of creative and proactive approach to problem solving, and strong analytical skills.
- Strong track record of scientific accomplishments demonstrated through publications in highly regarded journals and/or intellectual property generation.
- Strong motivation, passion and commitment to science and engineering of novel entities
- Ability and desire to work in an interdisciplinary scientific team and the desire to learn new techniques
- The ability to work closely with other group members within teams is essential
- Experience with antibody and biotherapeutic discovery and a working knowledge of antibody molecules
- R&D experience in an industry setting with good understanding of biologics drug development is preferred
- Training in immunology and cell biology is highly desirable. Previous experience with antibody engineering
- Experience with high throughput screening methods
- Experience with protein display methods
Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, ability to perform mathematical calculations and ability to perform complex data analysis tasks. Other Job Details:
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: YES
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development