UP Posting - Academic
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA - MAMELODI CAMPUS
POST TITLE: DIRECTOR
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 3
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence, quality and diversity, the University of Pretoria (UP) wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria is one of South Africa's top research-intensive universities dedicated to producing high-quality research that addresses complex issues. It is one of the highest producers of research nationally and makes a major contribution to postgraduate and postdoctoral fellowship training, as well as nurturing and supporting researchers at different stages of their research careers.
The University wishes to appoint a Director of its Mamelodi Campus to offer strategic leadership to the Campus as UP's Social Innovation Hub. This includes academic leadership of the University's foundation programmes in collaboration with the Faculties of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, Economic and Management Sciences, and Humanities, as well as the academic leadership of community-based research in collaboration with all faculties that participate in the thematic areas of the Mamelodi Collaborative (MC). Additionally, the Director will be responsible for implementing the Campus's anchor strategy, the MC. They will also provide oversight for the management of the operational activities of the Campus in support of the University's strategic priorities.
The Director: UP Mamelodi Campus, in collaboration with the Faculties of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (NAS), Economic Management Sciences (EMS), Humanities and any other relevant faculties, is responsible for the following:
- Developing an implementation plan, milestones and deliverables of the Senate-approved Turnaround Strategy (TAS) to improve the success rates of students in the University's Extended Curriculum Programmes (ECPs) in close collaboration with the Deans of NAS, EMS and Humanities;
- Overseeing the implementation of the TAS plan, monitoring milestones and preparing regular reports on progress to the Vice-Principal: Academic, the Department of Institutional Planning and the Academic Planning Committee;
- Providing support to all faculties that offer foundation programmes;
- Overseeing the operations of the ECPs by the Head of Academic Programmes;
- Overseeing the preparation of the Campus's Annual Teaching and Learning Review;
- Keeping abreast and advising their line manager of policy changes on foundation programme provisioning;
- Developing a strategy the University should adopt due to any policy changes in respect of foundation provisioning;
- Providing line management to the Head of Academic Programmes, the Head of Community-based Research, the Project Leader: TAS and the heads of clinics;
- Chairing the Mamelodi Campus Inter-Faculty Academic Committee;
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Mamelodi Teaching and Learning Committee;
- Serving as a member of the Senate Committee for Teaching and Learning; and
- Fostering good relationships and partnerships with the Community in Mamelodi.
- A PhD;
- Minimum of 10 years experience working as a lecturer in the higher education sector, of which five years should be in management;
- Experience in academic content development and/or oversight;
- Experience in developing and promoting student success interventions in the higher education sector;
- Financial management experience; and
- Human resources management experience.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Leadership abilities;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Ability and sophistication to interact with business, government and other national stakeholders;
- Negotiation skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to constitute and lead a management team as well as to lead organisational development and innovation;
- Ability to work under pressure and able to prioritise;
- Ability to ensure high levels of integrity; and
- Commitment to promoting shared leadership and working in cross-functional teams.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience in the management of foundation/extended curriculum programmes;
- Experience in offering academic leadership;
- Experience in a team-based, client-orientated, networked organisation; and
- Experience and proven ability to manage partnerships.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of the selection process, all shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments.
The total remuneration package for this position will be as determined by UP remuneration policy guidelines. (These amounts include the University's contributions to standard UP benefits, namely a provident fund, group life and funeral cover, but exclude contributions to medical aid schemes, which vary per employee.) UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premiums.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za and follow the link: Careers@UP.
When applying for this post, please attach:
- A full curriculum vitae (the University's template to be used);
- An abbreviated curriculum vitae;
- certified copies of qualifications and identity document;
- A self-evaluation by the applicant of his/her suitability for appointment in the post;
- The applicant's vision for the UP Mamelodi Campus; and
- The names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of at least three referees whom we have permission to contact.
Applicants should note that the University also reserves the right to appoint and consult its own referees.
- CLOSING DATE: 14 January 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date or if it does not comply with the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Letticia Jooste at email@example.com
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.