Title:Instructor/Assistant Professor and Academic Chair, Medical Assisting Position ID Number:2348 Posted Date:08/06/2021 Job Category:Faculty Department:Medical Assisting - HMDA Position Status:Full-Time Faculty Salary Range:$51,732-$65,742 Position Summary:Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) is seeking an exceptional faculty member committed to the college's philosophy that education serves the greater good by providing students access to a better life. The candidate for a faculty position understands that community colleges are positioned to fundamentally change people's lives, and as a result, society itself. Required qualities include a belief that continuous improvement in pedagogy and relationships with students, other faculty, and staff are hallmarks of an educator who has been called to the profession. We are seeking colleagues who embrace the idea of helping students achieve their goals, and approach academic excellence as evidenced in equity as a moral imperative.AACC believes that faculty are the heart of the institution. We are seeking a faculty member who is energized by the community college pathways and inclusivity/equity initiatives, and see it as their job to support a diverse set of learners inside and outside the classroom. AACC embraces the notion of life-long learning and continuous improvement, and so is looking for those with a sincere desire to self-reflect on personal instructional practices and work collaboratively with colleagues to improve teaching and learning for all students. AACC seeks to hire faculty members who espouse the ideals in AACC's mission and those who will collaborate with their department colleagues to bring AACC's vision and strategic plan to reality.Only individuals who are residents of Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or the District of Columbia are eligible for employment at the college. You must reside in one of these states prior to a determined start date.
A strong Medical Assisting faculty member/Academic Chair candidate should demonstrate a proven ability to teach introductory and upper college-level medical assisting (MDA) students who are part of diverse student population. Experience in medical assisting accreditation guidelines for quality assurance, regulations, proficiency testing, is required. Additionally, medical assisting skills, and the ability to troubleshoot laboratory equipment as well as excellence in oral, written and expected. The position includes extensive collaboration with local affiliated clinical sites to find placements for the MDA students as well as coordinating the clinical experience for the students. The position will require in state travel to affiliate clinical sites. Candidates should be committed to student-centered, outcomes-based education with experience incorporating multiple instructional strategies and the use of technology in teaching and learning. Teaching assignments are 15 faculty load hours per semester. Courses to be instructed include lecture (including online), lab, and activity classes in the MDA program. Strong candidates will demonstrate knowledge of evidence-based teaching practices, commitment to inclusive teaching practices, and application of these practices in a college classroom to help students succeed.
AACC is a tenure granting institution. Any candidate hired as a full-time faculty member may be eligible to apply for tenure in the future based on institutional eligibility requirements.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:FunctionWith meeting community needs and improving teaching and learning among Anne Arundel Community College's highest priorities, we are strategically positioned to set and surpass new standards of excellence in our primary teaching and learning mission. Guided by principles that emphasize equity and student success, especially in learning, and continuous improvement for a progressive and vital learning community, we envision AACC as a premier learning organization that is in the vanguard of community college education. As a consequence, we welcome qualified faculty candidates who demonstrate:
Commitment to teaching excellence with a diverse student body and in a variety of teaching formatsCommitment to developing curriculum and programsExpertise in Learning Outcomes AssessmentCommitment to engaging with students inside and outside of the classroomCommitment to college service and value community partnershipsCommitment to continuous improvement and professional developmentCommitment to AACC's valuesCommitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion *Duties*
30 faculty load hours fall and spring terms
Summer instruction/program administration
6 office hours per week during the fall and spring semesters
Teaching and assessing student learning
Recruiting and managing clinical/practicum affiliations
Maintaining program accreditation
In addition to a faculty member's primary responsibilities, the exceptional candidate will also demonstrate commitment and experience in one or more of the following areas:
* Mentoring students from target groups; new full-time faculty; part-time faculty
Designing, formatting and delivering curriculum for all learning modalitiesTraining and consulting for workforce initiatives (e.g., for public and corporate partners, etc.)Developing and implementing community education and extended learning programsPartnering with colleagues to enhance services to students and the communityRecruiting and marketingAdvising with expanded responsibilities* Devising retention strategies and activities
* Strengthening relationships and collaborative activities including K-12 and baccalaureate-granting colleagues
* Master's degree in a health related profession from a regionally accredited educational institution.
* Proficient at overseeing the daily program operations including budget planning, accreditation compliance and the assessment processes,
* Minimum of two years' experience as an instructor in an accredited program with proficiency in didactic, laboratory and clinical instruction;
* Be credentialed in good standing in medical assisting, by an organization whose credentialing exam is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
* Minimum of three years' clinical experience in the field of medical assisting professional discipline;
* Have a minimum of three years of employment in a healthcare facility, including a minimum of 160 hours in an ambulatory healthcare setting performing or observing administrative and clinical procedures as performed by medical assistants.
* Have a minimum of one year teaching experience in postsecondary and/or vocational/technical education.
* Have experience in instruction in educational theory and techniques. This may be demonstrated by documentation of completed college courses, seminars or in-service sessions on topics including but not limited to learning theory, curriculum design, test construction, teaching methodology or assessment techniques.
* Candidate will need to show proof of maintaining knowledge of current medical assisting practices
* Current Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
* Experience or knowledge of working with external stakeholders and building community relationships.
* Experience using data-decision making reflected in documents such as program reviews and annual reports.
Hours Per Week:40 Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts