Join the leadership team at the University of Virginia School of Nursing as the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ADDEI) to lead in the development and implementation of strategies to build and sustain a culture of respect and inclusion. The ADDEI is a strategic partner to the Dean and the Dean's Council and will bring an equity-consciousness into the heart of the School's mission and vision. This is a tenure track position and may be filled at the Associate or Full Professor level.
For the past five years, the UVA SON has been actively engaged in IDEA, our Inclusion, Diversity and Excellence Achievement initiative. With IDEA as a strong foundation, we have developed an Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan that will take us into the next five years of our continued transformation. We are deeply committed to fostering a community that is inclusive, respectful, antiracist, and considers diversity to be a key part of our excellence. We seek applicants whose experience, teaching, research, and/or community service has prepared them to substantially contribute to this mission. We welcome, in particular, applicants from groups who have been historically underrepresented in nursing, including racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+, veterans, people with disabilities, and men.
Primary Responsibilities of the role include:
* Lead the implementation, oversight, and evaluation of the SON Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan.
* Expand diversity in all academic programs using best practices in recruitment, holistic admissions, orientation, and student support.
* Facilitate advancement of DEI in processes and policies, including in faculty and staff search, tenure and promotion for tenure track faculty, and promotion and renewal for general track faculty.
* Provide training opportunities for faculty, staff and students to develop capacity for equity literacy and practice.
* Foster a climate of equity, respect and a sense of belonging for all by offering training opportunities in inclusive practices in teaching and best practices to create inclusive learning environments.
* Lead curricula assessment with a DEI lens and assist faculty in embedding DEI principles and content in courses and curricula.
* Support student engagement activities to promote inclusivity and a sense of belonging, affirmation and well-being. Provide support and guidance to underrepresented students. Lead ongoing assessment of the school's climate.
* Serve in a consulting role to faculty and Office of Academic and Student Services staff to assist with students experiencing difficulty or when inclusivity is breached in the classroom or clinical arena.
* Engage with alumni and the school's foundation office.
* Fulfill research, teaching and service responsibilities commensurate with the tenure track.
The ADDEI will partner with the Vice President for DEI and the ADDEIs across UVA on Inclusive Excellence activities. They will serve on the Diversity Council to implement the University-wide Inclusive Excellence Plan and will represent the SON on pan-University committees and initiatives as appointed (e.g., LGBT Committee, UVA Health MLK Planning Committee). They will coordinate with the UVA Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (EOCR) and will seek an active affiliation with the Equity Center, a UVA Democracy Initiative Center for the Redress of Inequity Through Community Engaged Scholarship.
Candidates must possess a PhD in Nursing or terminal degree in a field related to nursing and qualify for Associate or Full Professor rank for a tenure-track position. They must have substantial experience in developing and/or leading DEI initiatives as well as an active program of successful scholarship aligned with one of the areas of research excellence prioritized by the SON (Palliative/End of Life; Violence; Symptom Science; Data Science; Nursing History; Compassionate Care; Scholarship of Teaching and Learning), a consistent history of external funding, and a record of excellence in teaching. Experience in community engagement (e.g., research, practice, service) that demonstrates principles of respectful community engagement is a plus. Nurse candidates must be eligible for licensure as a registered nurse (RN) in Virginia.
Salary and faculty rank are commensurate with education, experience and scholarship. Joint appointments are available. UVA offers generous start-up packages, reimbursement for moving expenses, assistance for dual career candidates, and the opportunity to conduct research at one of the nation's top facilities or in the vibrant communities that surround the university.
Complete an application online and attach:
* Cover Letter
* Contact information for 3 professional references
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "R0026195".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board [Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (myworkdayjobs.com)](https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UVAJobs/job/Charlottesville-VA/Associate-Dean-for-Diversity--Equity--and-Inclusion_R0026195)
Please note that *ALL* documents *MUST* be uploaded in the CV/Resume box or you can combine them into one PDF.
***Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Selected candidates will be required to complete a health screen and background check prior to their appointment date per university policy.
For more information, visit [www.nursing.virginia.edu](http://www.nursing.virginia.edu/)
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Recruiter, [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)
For more information about UVA and the surrounding area, please visit [http://uvacharge.virginia.edu/guide.html](http://uvacharge.virginia.edu/guide.html).
UVA assists faculty spouses and partners seeking employment in the Charlottesville area. To learn more please visit [https://dualcareer.virginia.edu/](https://dualcareer.virginia.edu/)
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.