Research Assistant II, CoreJob
TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)Organization
PMI CHTN 104508Shift
This position provides support for tissue procurement. The primary focus will be obtaining consent from study subjects and working with an interdisciplinary team to identify potential donors for inclusion in research studies and collections. The position requires strong customer service and project management skills and the ability to work with VUMC team members in a fast-paced environment. Tissue collection, preparing samples for shipping, and Quality Assurance/Quality Compliance work will be done. The candidate must have strong communication skills (written and verbal) and be familiar with performance reporting, key performance indicators, and business reporting tools.Department Summary:
The Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology at Vanderbilt has a long and rich history of excellence in teaching, clinical service, and research. Our collaborative efforts in personalized medicine in cancer, pharmacogenomics and the creation of Diagnostic Management Teams are at the "leading edge" of a revolution in the practice of pathology. The department lives and breathes our mantra that we are a "laboratory of the whole" for defining the future of pathology. We are committed to taking a leadership role in both basic and translational research in these areas of focus.View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity - of culture, thinking, learning and leading - is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's
mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
- Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
- Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
- The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
- Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
- National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
- Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:
- Review patient charts and analyze data for diagnostic tools, disease progression and cancer staging
- Obtain consent from study subjects for tissue procurement according to study protocols
- Process bio-fluids and tissue specimens
- Under minimal supervision follow established protocols for QAQC, secondary checking and shipping frozen and paraffin tissues/slides
- Guide junior staff members and report performance indicators to Program Director
- Communicate with investigators concerning their requests, schedule orders and ensure outgoing materials are HIPAA compliant, maintain documentation
- Attend and present data at monthly lab meetings, assist in gathering data at monthly lab meetings, assist in gathering data for NIH funding opportunities
- Submit proficiency testing in the respective area and maintain subject matter expertise in 4 operational areas with the lab
- Assist in maintaining laboratory equipment and troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment
- Present at national and regional meetings, submit posters for ISBER, and assist in marketing to the scientific community
- Bachelors' Degree in Biology, Chemistry or Psychology is preferred
- Prefer completion of the following courses and labs: Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry
- Strong customer service and project management skills required
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 2 years experience