Job Title: Adjunct Faculty, Surgical Technology
Location: LSC-Tomball Health Science
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 34418
Commitment to Mission This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
* One LSC
* Student Focused
* Own It
* Advance Equity
* Cultivate Community
* Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
*Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.*
Campus Marketing Statement *Lone Star College-Tomball-Health Science Building*
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
The LSC-Tomball Health Science Building is a 60,000-square-feet three-story complex that houses the Surgical Technology, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Nursing and Pharmacy Technology programs. The facility provides numerous classrooms, a medical library, simulation labs, an operating room, a clean room, a sterile room and additional educational resources.
Campus address is 700 Graham Dr., Tomball, TX 77375.
Job Description *PURPOSE AND SCOPE:*
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:*
Teaches Surgical Technology courses at a variety of times and locations Creates engaging lessons that promote student involvement and application of the material.Submits required college reports and forms in a timely mannerUtilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelinesMeets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methodsEvaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progress Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the communityAttends meetings, trainings, and orientations as requiredResponsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:*
* Mastery of course content
* Demonstrated leadership skills; Style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
* Commitment to diversity; Ability to appreciate alternative viewpoints; Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
* Demonstrates interest in interdisciplinary teaching, service learning, learning technologies, course development, and adult learning methodologies including collaborative learning, learning communities and distance learning
* Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning
* Demonstrated ability to develop and implement instructional approaches such as service learning/civic engagement, learning communities, and the effective use of technology
* Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
*PHYSICAL ABILITIES: *
The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy items, such as typewriters and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as above average agility and dexterity.
*WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS: *
* Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment, and any specialized equipment standard within the discipline/industry
* Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
* Work is performed in a climate-controlled classroom and/or lab environment with exposure to safety hazards typical within the industry
* Hours will vary depending on class time; Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
* Certificate in Surgical Technology and an Associate's degree or higher in nursing, surgical technology or related field, and a current Surgical Technologist certification (CST), and have a minimum total of three years of experience, either in the operating room scrub role or as an instructor in surgical technology, or a combination of both, within the past five years.
Salary $49.66 per contact hour.
Benefits Marketing Statement By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.
Special Instructions All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on 'My Activities' at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on 'Add Attachment.' Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply *ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY*
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at [www.dhs.gov/E-Verify](http://www.dhs.gov/E-Verify).
*Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.*